Chapter Thirteen: Nomad!

Bella returned from visiting her mother, finding me already at her house

Bella returned from visiting her mother, finding me already at her house. As she entered, she confided in me about her time with her mother, expressing how much she cherished those moments but struggled with the inevitable goodbyes. Aware that it marked the final occasion she would lay eyes on her before undergoing the transformation into a vampire.

I neglected to mention the encounter with Victoria, opting instead to conceal the lingering handprint around my throat with a scarf. The thought of recounting what my Grams had revealed to me weighed heavily on me, especially seeing Bella's joy at being back. I couldn't bear to burden her with worries. My worries.

As the school day progressed, I couldn't shake the unease that settled over me when Bella failed to appear in any of my classes. Concern gnawed at me until I mustered the courage to inquire about her whereabouts. Students revealed that she had climbed on a motorcycle with a boy from La Push. Instantly, I connected the dots: it had to be Jacob. He had been evading Bella's and my attempts to reach him for weeks, only to suddenly materialize and whisk her away for a ride. A picture of Edward's reaction to this revelation flashed in my mind, and I could almost feel the tension crackling in the air. But he would have been mostly pissed at the fact.

As night descended upon the town, I lingered at school to finish up some tasks. Pulling into my driveway, I expertly manoeuvred the truck into its spot before switching off the engine and swinging open the door. Stepping out, I closed the door with a resounding thud and secured the truck with a click of the lock. I strolled around, my gaze fixed on my car keys which also housed the house key. Upon reaching the porch steps, I began to ascend, my focus still on the keys until I lifted my eyes and found myself met with a pair of charcoal-black eyes. Leaning against the front door frame was Emmett.

Suppressing a sigh, memories of my actions from the other day flooded my thoughts. "Emmett, hey," I greeted, attempting to mask any hint of unease. "What are you doing here?" I inquired, reaching the final step and stepping onto the porch.

"I need you to come with me," Emmett stated with a gravity that caught my attention, prompting a concerned tilt of my head. "I'll explain on the way," he continued, as though he could anticipate my questions before I even asked them.

Without a word of protest, I descended the porch steps and stepped onto the path, Emmett immediately matching my pace. His presence was reassuring as he took the lead, guiding us towards the car he had brought. Although I didn't have a chance to fully inspect it, I obediently slid into the passenger seat and closed the door with a firm thud. As the engine roared to life, propelling us forward, I braced myself for whatever awaited us. I just had a gut feeling that it wasn't going to be good...

...............

During the drive, Emmett elaborated on the situation. Edward had caught a scent he couldn't identify, sparking concern for Bella's safety. Given recent events involving Victoria, Carlisle deemed it necessary for me to be brought to them for protection. While the gesture was appreciated, a surge of anger welled within me as I contemplated the circumstances. If only they were aware of my true nature and the assistance I could offer, perhaps it would alleviate the tension. Yet, I couldn't shake the nagging doubt: would revealing the truth truly change anything, or would the status quo persist?