Chapter 2.5: Innocent (continued)

... 11am

May's P.O.V

I woke up to see that I had 2 text messages from Selena:

Sel: Heifer! You hung up on me last night. What happened?

Sel: call me when you get this.

I got out of bed and went to shower and brush my teeth. After I got dressed I decided to call Selena back.

Ring...Ring...Ring...

"Hello?", Selena answered.

"Hey what's up.", I said innocently.

"What's up? What's up? You hung up on me last-night!", she overreacted.

I chuckled, "Sorry. I had company."

"Who?", she asked sounding intrigued.

"August.", I said while smiling.

"August? August Alsina?", she questioned.

"Yeah. What other August do you know?", I asked rhetorically.

"I was just checking. So why was he over there?", she asked.

"Uh actually, he was here for Ronnie".

"Ronnie? They're friends?", she asked in that high pitch voice she does.

"I don't think they're friends. I just think they're "working" together now", I replied.

"And by "working" together you're talking drug related, correct?", she asked.

I sighed, "Affirmative."

She sighed, "Damn, it seem like everybody is heading down the wrong path."

"Yeah but it's hard out here. The struggle is always very real.", I said.

She chuckled, "Always."

"Hey you still wanna come over?", I asked her.

"Yeah, is your mom back yet?", she asked.

I shrugged as if she could see me, "I don't know, I haven't left my room yet."

"Alright well call me back then.", Sel said.

"Okay". I hung up the phone and headed downstairs.

I saw my mom in the kitchen, looking at a ton of bills. She looked stressed. She didn't even notice my presence.

I took a seat next to her, "hey mom."
"Hi May", she answered tiredly.
I picked up an apple from the dish on the island and took a bite," Are you okay mom?"

She looked at me, "I'm fine. There are just a lot of things that need to be paid and I don't have the money for it all."

"Why don't you ask Ronnie for money?", I asked.

My mom reached for the kitchen drawer and pulled it open slowly. She moved some random papers around then pulled out a stack of cash and handed it to me.

My jaw dropped, "Mom how much is this?".

"I don't know and I don't care. That's the devils money. Drug money. Money of a sinner and I refuse to spend that.", my mom said.

"But mom..".
"But nothing.", she said leaving the kitchen.

I sighed. My mom was so religious. I understand that the money was "drug money" but it's still money and we need it.

I guess I could search for a job to help my mom out a bit because baby sitting just wasn't cutting it.

... 8pm