Chapter 6

Memories flood my mind as tears escape my shut eyes and drop to the dusty wood floor. Mischief, Myth and I are adopted sisters and Sevals is our Master whether I like it or not. Sevals protected me from the outside world until the day he killed Razor and Scorch’s mother. His reasoning was that I needed to know what the real world was going to be like for me. He gave me special kinds of training such as four different styles of martial arts, and showed me how to use my gun, but I always told him that I would never use any of it.

I was never a killer. The thought of taking someone’s life from them made my stomach turn, and Sevals knew that. He had to find a way to make me kill people, even if they were his minions in masks. To make me kill anyone, though, he had to take away my memory or I wouldn’t pick up my gun. I still can’t seem to remember why I was afraid of touching a gun…

They erased my memory because I had no intentions on wanting to kill the Band of Four. If I led them to their hideout, they could kill them and then they would give me back my memory. I doubt they would have given me back all my memories. They would probably keep all my thoughts of the Band of Four, so I wouldn’t question their whereabouts.

What Sevals doesn’t know, is that I am not the same daughter he got rid of months ago. I can kill, and I will if it means saving my friends. I look out the little peephole and listen. There are guns and laser guns going off in the distance, but other than that, the house is silent. I kick open the tiny door and crawl out. There has to be some place in here where they have more of those laser guns, right?

Silently moving through the house, I look in every room for guns, but I can’t find one. Maybe they already brought all of them to battle? I don’t bother being quiet as I run out the front door. The moon is hidden behind many grey clouds that continue to move slowly across the sky as I run towards the gun fire. My pace slows as I get close enough to see Ice and Blade, back to back, looking around the shadows frantically. I hide behind a bush and look around waiting for Myth or Mischief to appear. I feel a hand on my shoulder, but I don’t flinch because I can tell it’s Scorch by the shine of the tiny gold necklace next to me.

He whispers urgently, “Razor told me you were staying back at the house.”

“He told me to, but this is my mess.” He goes to say something, but I stop him. “These girls are my sisters who have been planning your death since they killed your mother. I’m sorry, Scorch. I really am.”

He pauses and mumbles, “I knew it.” He gets louder, but not loud enough for Ice and Blade to hear, “You killed my mother. You understand I will never forgive you for that?”

I thank the heavens that I cannot see his face in this darkness as I say, “Scorch, I don’t want you to forgive me, just trust me.”

He shakes his head, “I can never trust you.”

I try to explain that Razor has forgiven me, but he pushes me out of the bush. The loud thud from my fall echoes throughout the entire forest. Immediately, Ice and Blade have guns pointed down at me, ready to shoot.

“Guys, it’s me!” I shout covering my face as if my arms could deflect electricity.

Ice helps me up and asks, “Why are you out here? Razor said you were at the house.”

I open my mouth to explain, but Myth silently falls on the ground behind them. Instinct fills my veins, as I push the guys out of the way and kick the gun out of Myth’s hands. It lands somewhere in the woods a few yards away in some bushes. Myth backflips away from me and stares at me with her shadowy eyes. Her white, smiling teeth shine in a sliver of moonlight making me shiver. I have seen that smile one too many times as she gets ready to kill. Before she makes another move, I shoot her in the knee, and she is down screaming in pain.