Chapter 11

I sit up and look around. Razor is snoring quietly next to me and Ice, Blade, and Scorch are sleeping on the other side of me rather close. Taking another look, I realize that we are in my old hideout. Why would Razor take us here? Sevals knows about this place. I tiptoe into the partially burned hallway and walk out into the morning sun.

With the stream flowing close by, and I am overwhelmed with the feeling of home. Walking closer to the rhythmic stream, I hear a bird over my head chirp happily. I take a seat upon the rock that I used to always spend my mornings on and start to take off my mud crusted combat boots. The cold water flows between my toes making a smile spread across my face.

“Could this morning be any better?” I whisper to myself.

I look into the water and my smile fades. How could I pretend everything is okay? I kick at my reflection hoping to rid my mind of all my happiness. Mystic died last night; an innocent child who got caught up with the wrong man had to die because of me. I pull my legs to my chest and wrap my arms around them. The water is like a mirror, mocking my stupidity.

“Why am I here?” I ask to no one other than myself.

No one answers with a gentle, silent breeze playing with my hair. I try to run my hand through my hair in attempt to brush it, but all I get is a handful of leaves. I look back at the water, trying to see how awful I really look.

The girl staring back has knots and leaves decorating her black short hair. Her green eyes have bags under them that stand out against her pale face. I look around hoping that the guys are still asleep. No one is around, so I quietly get undressed to take a quick bath in the stream.

I place my dirty clothes on the large rock, and step into the cold water. Trying to be fast, I lie down and put my hair in the water. The sound of the water running past my ears is all I can hear, and it makes me get that homey feeling again. I sit up and shake my head, sending leaves and dirt everywhere. My head feels lighter, and I feel more refreshed.

Looking at my clothes, I get the urge to wash them too, so I move to the rock and grab them. I sit down in the water and submerge my black tank top. I take a small rock in my hand and rub the dirt stain from my shirt. I throw the soaked shirt to the rock and it makes a slapping noise that is also familiar to me.

I then dunk my ripped and stained jeans into the clear water. I try to tell myself the rips are like the designer jean rips, but who am I kidding? My jeans look horrible as if designed by Edward Scissorhands in the dark. I almost laugh at the thought of something so ridiculous. How is it that I can remember old movies, but not important matters of my childhood? I sigh and take the rock in my hands again to remove another stain when I hear the sound of boots thudding against twigs and leaves. Someone is coming!

“Kaleidoscope, where are you?” Blade harshly whispers into the woods.

I quickly get to my feet and run to my sitting rock, hoping to get dressed before Blade comes over here. All I have time to do is get my bra on, barely, as he steps into plain view.

“Blade, don’t look over here!” I screech.

Without realizing what I said, Blade turns my way and his jaw drops. Great, that’s one way to ruin my morning. I crouch down behind my rock with my face reddening. If Razor comes out here and sees Blade gawking at me like this, he might start to get all jealous again. I put my head between my hands overwhelmed.  

“What part of ‘Don’t look’ did you not understand, Blade?” I whisper harshly.

He stutters, and then starts over. “I didn’t know what you were saying, so I just looked.”