Chapter 21

The box car remains eerily silent as Razor and I are trying to find sleep under the pale light shining into the car. The train passes mountains and spider web-like trees. There’s practically nothing out here, and yet, the beauty is indescribable. This place, untouched by corrupt human beings, radiates an unearthly harmony that my eyes can’t seem to get enough of. I want to run into the mountains and lose myself in the shadows of their undying beauty. I wonder if anything else can be that perfect.

            I sneak a glance at Razor and I see that he has been watching me. The moonlight makes his eyes shine. He seems to be deep in thought. Is it about our fight? We haven’t uttered a word since we argued, but I feel like words couldn’t ever be enough between us. It’s like words don’t matter when it comes down to loving each other. I know I still love him even though he was being a jerk. How did I become so weak-hearted?

            “Tell me,” he says in a low voice, “What are you thinking about?”

            I look outside to the shadowy mountains. Suddenly, those mountains seem tainted with hidden evils. How could I even think of running into those shadows and hide in such a scary place like that? I focus back on Razor. Could I tell him that I’m sorry for what I did? Would he understand why I would want to leave all of this again? Do I even fully understand?

            “Kari,” he says coming to sit next to me, “Don’t cry.”

            He tucks my hair behind my ears and softly wipes my cheek. Why am I crying? Why is he suddenly being nice to me? Does he think messing with me is funny and amusing? I look into his eyes again.

            “Razor,” I whisper, “What’s wrong with us?”

            He puts his arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer. My tears pour out as I sob loudly into his neck. After everything I put him through, he still cares about me? I can barely stand myself. We watch the landscapes go by in the night. I doubt either of us is actually watching any of it.

            Razor points to a small valley in the distance. “Watch over there.”

            I wait and watch as the black sky starts to slowly turn into a light purple, to a lighter blue as a tiny light pokes up from the depths of the valley. I gasp as the light turns the sky bright pink as it rises higher. The sun creeps about the mountains and stares down at me. I laugh through my tears. Razor smiles at the sun and squeezes my hand. Does he see how amazing it is that the sun knows exactly where it needs to be?

            I feel the train come to a slow halt. “What’s going on?” I ask jumping to my feet.

            “Ice is probably tired,” he stands up. “Remember how dangerous it would be to stop at night.”

            I look out at the open land around us. In the light, the land looks even prettier. A small pond is sparkling in the distance. We open the sliding door and I glance over to Razor to see if he is looking at how beautiful all of this is, but before I can think, Razor grabs my hand and jumps from the car. Where are we running to? I start to laugh with him as we get closer to the water. He drops my hand and takes off his shoes and socks.

            “Razor,” I laugh as he strips down to his boxers and runs into the glistening water. “You’re crazy!”

            He goes under and attempts to splash me, but I’m too far away. “Come in!”

            “No way am I getting all wet,” I roll my eyes as he continues to watch me with puppy-dog eyes. “No! These are my only clothes.”