Chapter 3

Packing everything up, the three girls made their way back to Camila's car.

Camila and Lauren were walking side by side, a few steps behind Sofi, who had Leo on a leash.

-Thank you for doing this.- said Camila, looking her straight in the eyes, showing her how much she meant it.- I'm actually surprised Sofi asked you to come with us...she's been quite shy lately.

-it's ok, really. She looks like a nice kid.- said Lauren, not making a big deal out of it.-besides, I could never say no to free pizza.

Camila laughed out loud.

-same. And just so you know, this is not a trick to kidnap you or anything, so don't worry about that.

Lauren couldn't help but laugh at that. She looked over at the other girl from head to toe, noticing how small and fragile she looked.

-I'd like to see you try.- she said, still laughing.

Once they made it to the car, Sofi jumped in and sat in the middle of the front seat, Leo on her lap. She quickly grabbed the Ipod, but Camila stopped her before she could connect it to the console.

-wait a minute, your time is up.

-who gets to be DJ now? Asked the little girl, excited with their game.

-let's see...-said Camila, putting a hand on her chin.- I think it's only fair that the prettiest girl in this car gets to choose the music.

Camila extended her hand towars Sofi, a smirk on her face.

-Ok, said Sofi, handing over the Ipod to Lauren, who immediately laughed at Camila's loud gasp.

-I have been betrayed by my own flesh and blood.- she whispered dramatically.

-rules are rules, Kaki.- the youngest girl said, as if speaking to a child.

-It's ok, you can have it- said Lauren, trying to give it back to Camila.

-No, no, it's fine.- she replied with a deep sigh.- Sofi's right. Rules are rules and I walked straight into that one.

Lauren stared at the old Ipod, a smile on her face. She felt the engine roar to life as Camila started driving.

-wow I haven't seen one of these since I was like, ten.

-I know right? I was the coolest kid in 5th grade thanks to that thing. Can't believe it still works.

-I have to say, this is the strangest combination of music I've ever seen.- Lauren said, amused.

-I had to share it with my dad so most of the music is his...He's Mexican, by the way. Or was.-she said, correcting herself.

Lauren was surprised when she heard "was", but didn't want to make things uncomfortable by asking.

-I can see that! Alejandro Fernandez? Antonio Aguilar? Celia Cruz?.-she asked, scrolling down the names.

-actually, Celia was mum's. She was Cuban.- she said, interrupting the other girl.

-No way!.- Said Lauren, excited with the fact that not only were they Latinas, but Cuban too.-I'm Cuban-American!

-en serio?.- really? Camila asked, looking at her and smiling.

-bueno, yo nací aquí pero mi familia es Cubana.- The green-eyed girl replied, explaining how she had been born there but her family was Cuban.

Camila looked at her, her eyes open wide in a mix of surprise and amusement.

-I did not expect you to have such a strong accent.- she said. She liked it, it reminded her of her mom, unconsciously making her like and trust the other girl more.