Chapter 8

"Morning" Camila said, walking towards Lauren who was standing next to the coffee maker. Camila's voice was raspier than usual and her eyes were red.

"Are you sick?" Lauren asked, growing worried.

"Of course not" Camila replied quickly, followed by a sneeze.

"I told you to dry your hair last night, didn't I?" Lauren said, standing in front of the smaller girl and touching her forehead, checking for a fever.

"Ok, Nurse Lauren" the smaller girl said with an amused smile, gently pushing Lauren's hand away "I told you I'm alright"

"Well you look awful" Lauren said without thinking.

"Gee, thanks. Just what every girl wants to hear first thing in the morning" Camila said, rolling her eyes and moving past Lauren, getting everything ready to make breakfast. Lauren moved quickly and took everything out of her hands, pushing her towards the table.

"Sit. I'll do it" She said. Camila wanted to protest but stayed quite when Lauren looked at her and raised an eyebrow. She was intimidating. "and I didn't mean it that way. I mean, you're beautiful..." She turned around as soon as she realised what she had said, and cleared her throat feeling a bit awkward. "You just look a bit off, that's all"

"I'm ok, really" She insisted before adding "thank you for worrying, though"

Lauren turned around and looked at her, a smile on her face. Camila couldn't help but smile back. They stayed like that for a few seconds too long, just staring and smiling at eachother, until the sound of the toaster broke the silence.

Lauren tried to convince her during breakfast to call in sick, but Camila left for work insisting she'd be alright. But she wasn't, so at around 10am she was back home, looking pale and sneezing continuously.

Lauren stood up from the sofa, where she had been reading, as soon as she saw Camila walk in. She brought a blanket with her and wrapped it around the smaller girl, guiding her back towards the sofa.

"Not ok" Camila said softly, before sneezing three times in a row.

"Stay here" Lauren said before walking towards the kitchen to make some soup. She felt an instinctive need to take care of her, and she didn't know why. She felt the need to protect her, to make her feel good. She wanted to see her smile, and not just those sad smiled that didn't reach her eyes. She wanted to see a real smile, she wanted to hear her laugh and be the reason for it. It was strange because she had never felt that way about anyone before. She prided herself on her independence, on not caring about anyone or needing anyone. She didn't take care of people, it was as simple as that. But that was before. Now, in only 6 days, she had grown attached to those two girls for no reason at all. She would do anything to make them happy...Life was funny sometimes.

Walking back to the living room, Lauren noticed Sofi had woke up and was walking towards them. The small girl sat down next to Camila, cuddling into her side without saying a word.

"How are you feeling?" Lauren asked Sofi, sitting next to her.

"Better, but now Kaki's sick" She said, lifting herself up to give her sister a kiss on the cheek.

"Sisters that get sick together, stay together" Camila whispered, her eyes still closed.

"Mami always said that" Sofi said, giggling.

Sofi wanted to watch a movie that day, so after thinking about it for a few minutes, the younger girl chose Nemo. The three girls were on the sofa facing the T.V. and sharing a blanket. Camila had fallen asleep as soon as the movie started, her head resting on top of Sofi's who didn't take her eyes off the T.V.