Chapter 14

I sat concentrating hard on the screen with a huge smile on my face. Me and Steven we're currently playing a new video game Steven had showed me, lonely blade. I usually wasn't too good at video games but this one I picked up right away and was beating Steven rather easily. Just a few more moves and I beat him.

Steven: Dang it!

Peridot: Yes! I win!

Steven: Good job Peridot!

I groveled in my victory trying not to rub it into Stevens face but I couldn't help to let myself have a little fun and tease him.

Peridot: How does it feel to be beaten by the great and lovable Peridot?

Steven: Hm. Don't get too cocky, I let you win.

Peridot. Ha. You wish.

After we played the video games we sat on Stevens bed together and watched a movie. Our shoulders were pressed close together as we shared one blanket, the only source of light being the tv. At first I was enjoying this movie making little quips here and there on things I noticed until I grew silent.

That fusion from earlier...Stevonnie...entered my mind. I thought back on how well they fought together. They were graceful and strategic and you could just feel confidence radiating from them. There fusion was perfect..and consisting of a human no less. I didn't even know fusion with a human was possible.

Stevonnie became the only thing I could think about. Jealously filled my chest as I glared at the screen. I want what they have. I want to fuse with Steven. If Steven can fuse with a human then he can definitely fuse with me but...how do I ask him and what if he doesn't want to fuse? I wanted to ask him but I just couldn't gather enough courage to speak up. Steven must have noticed my strange behavior because he called me out not too long after.

Steven: Peridot, are you ok?

Peridot: Y-Yea I'm fine.

I tried to seem normal, give him a small fake smile but it didn't work. He just frowned. He could see straight through my act.

Steven: I can tell that's not true. Come on Peridot, you can talk to me. What's bothering you?

I felt like just denying it further but this is my chance to talk to him about fusing. If I don't do it now I probably won't get another chance and I definitely won't be able to find the courage to ask him on my own. I took a deep breathe before I turned to Steven slightly nervous.

Peridot: It's just, your fusion with Connie...Stevonnie..I never knew you could fuse with humans.

Steven: I didn't think so either. Apparently since I'm half human and half gem, I can fuse with both. What's wrong with that though?

Peridot: There's nothing wrong with it at all. But I....

I blushed deeply trying to find the right words to phrase what I wanted to say. I struggled to speak until Steven reached over and placed his hand on my shoulder.

Steven: It's ok. It's just me, you can say it.

I gulped anxiously as I avoided Stevens gaze.

Peridot: I was wondering if maybe....we could fuse?

There was a moment of silence and I was about to apologize profusely for bringing up such a stupid idea until a loud gasp filled the room. I snapped my head up to Steven and saw a huge smile on his face, and stars in his eyes.

Steven: Peridot! Of course, I'd love to fuse with you!

Peridot: Really?

Steven: Yea. I mean we're so great together...it'd be so cool to see the kind of person we make toegether.