Chapter 1 - His Broken Heart

Gerald’s home.

He parked his car in his garage and stared at his dark house. 10… 20… 30 minutes passed before he went out of his car and headed to the main door of his two-storey house.

He placed the keys and held the door knob. But before he could open the door, he felt an immeasurable pain in his heart. It’s always inside him, every second, every minute, every hour, every day, every heart beat but it’s louder this time. Every time he goes home, realization that she’s no longer there is shouting right in front of him and it’s killing him, tearing him apart into pieces…little by little.

It’s another day without her.

It’s another night, another cold and lonely night without her.

“I miss you, I miss you so bad”, Gerald closed his eyes and with pleading voice, he whispered, “Lord, I miss her so much. Please bring her back to me”.

Holding his aching heart; Tears fall from his eyes.

--------

He opened the door. Turn on the lights.

“Sarah”, he whispered.  But no one’s there. It’s an empty house. No smile from her sweet face to welcome him. No hug from her and a kiss that washes away all the stress, worries and troubles of the world outside theirs.

He’s all alone now.

“Sarah”, he called again, louder this time.

“Babe, I’m home”, he called out as if she would come running from upstairs or from their kitchen door.

 But no Sarah is waiting for him.

There’s no Sarah anymore.

“I’m home Babe…”, he said as he fell off the couch, his palms on his face, with tears in his eyes, with mind and body tired and with an aching heart.

--------

He got up after who knows how long. He went to their kitchen, got himself a glass and a bottle of wine. He headed to the door but before he closed it, he gave the room one last look.

He smiled a painful one.

It was Sarah’s favorite place of their house. She loves to cook. She loves to bake. And she loves to experiment. She is a great cook!

She always prepares their dinner, it’s one of the things she loves to do for him. She makes sure dinner’s ready before he goes home. She would always tell him she cooked his favorite dish and tells him about her new experiment of the day – An addition to Sasa’s Dishes of Love for Gege, she says. She would let him taste it first and she would look at him expectantly. And she never fails; it’s always the best dish he has ever tasted.

“Ang sarap Babe! Ang sarap! This is now my favorite”, he told her with an amused face.

“Hmmp! Bolero! Lahat naman ng niluluto ko favorite mo!”, she teased him and quickly kiss him on the cheeks. “Thank you”. And they both laugh!

“Thank you babe! Gusto mo yata akong tumaba!”, He laughed.

“OO, kaya ubusin mo lahat yan!”, she jokingly told him.

“Uubusin ko lahat yan dahil ikaw ang nagluto”, he told her appreciatively. “I love you! You’re the best gift I ever received”. He held her hand. He looked at her lovingly and kissed her on the lips.

“I love you too, you’re my angel”. She put her free hand on his face and smiled in contentment.

He closed the door. Leaned his back on it and closed his eyes to stop the tears.

-------

He went to their bedroom. He felt the emptiness of it. He felt the loss once again. Breaking what was left of his already broken heart and killing him over and over again.

He pours a glass of wine and drinks it straight up.

He looked at her framed picture. “God, I miss her smile, I miss her laugh. I miss her. I miss her so much”.

He pours another glass and drinks it straight up.

He felt miserable. He is miserable.

He drinks again, straight from the bottle this time. Still holding her framed picture, he touched her face; he kissed it thousand times, placed it in his heart and hugged it tight.

“Sarah…”, he called her name.

“Babe”

“I love you”

“Please come back, Sarah”

“Please”

“I’m sorry”

“I love you Babe”

He keeps on repeating again and again. He will give up everything just to see her one more time. He will give up everything to have another chance to see her face, her eyes, her smile, to hear her laugh and to be with her again. If he could only turn back the time.

He screamed. He called out her name over and over again.

“Sarah!!!!!!!”

He threw the bottle on his bedroom wall.

He cried. He just cried while hugging her picture in his heart.

 ------

Morning.

It’s another morning without her beside him. He turned around and looks at his empty side of the bed. He placed his hand to where Sarah used to be. He touched it.

How he missed those eyes, those smiles and her sweet “Good morning Babe”.

“Time to get up, baka ma-late ka sa office”, she said and kissed him. “Bangon na Babe, I’ll prepare your things and your breakfast”.  She was about to sit up when he grabbed her and hugged her tight.

“5 minutes”, he said, tightening his hug. “Babe, baka malate ka…”, she said in protest.

“Babe, just let me hug you for 5 minutes more”.

She smiles and put her arms around him. She likes that, if they could only stay that way all day. He kissed her. She kissed him back.

“Babe, another 5 minutes”, he said and kissed her again.

 “Its 10 minutes already Babe”. She smiled and kissed him back.

------------------------

"It is a curious sensation: the sort of pain that goes mercifully beyond our powers of feeling. When your heart is broken, your boats are burned: nothing matters any more. It is the end of happiness and the beginning of peace."  - George Bernard Shaw