my hair

Before I cut my hair and went natural I never payed much attention to the backlash given to African American women about their natural hair. I never payed attention because I never really received any of the hatred because ever since I was little, I'd get my hair permed. But now that I have gone natural I've heard so many, some unintentional, ignorant remarks about my hair.

A friend of mine asked me how I maintain my hair and of course I was happy to tell her about it, it's always nice to educate people about other cultures. I told her that I can't use just any kind of conditioner or shampoo on my hair because nit all work they either mak my hair dry or fall out.
After I told her this she said "Why did God punish you?" I didn't say anything about it. But I just want to say I don't feel punished because I love my hair (at times I hate it but whatever.) Just because i have to go through extra things to keep it healthy doesn't make it a nuisance.

And there was another instance that happened a few days ago. My friend and I were talking about my senior year and she asked "what are you going to do for your pictures?" And I responded with "what do you mean?" And she says, "With your hair. You are going to wear weave right? Or a wig?"  I asked "Why would I wear a wig?" Then she just looked at me like "why wouldn't you?"

This probably isn't really about my hair type but because of how short it is. But still. It's my hair. Sure I wish it were longer but it's not so deal with it. And it's just truly disrespectful when someone's says "Why wouldn't you wear a wig?" Because it sounds like "You aren't wearing your own  hair right because you shouldn't."