Chapter 8

Jenna's POV

Today was the funeral. Alex hadn't been home, or at work, all week. I was starting to get worried, but I tried to put it in the back of my mind. I had to go, Alex promised he'd be there, so he would be!

I walked up to the grounds where the procession would be held, and took a deep breath. "Excuse me." Someone said from behind me. I turned around to see a tall man with tattoos smiling softly down at me. Next to him was a friendly-looking red headed boy. "Are you Jenna?" He asked.

"Yeah. Who are you?"

"We're friends of Jack's. Can we talk to you for a sec? I know you have a funeral to attend, I'll keep it short."

I smiled, nodding, and followed them.

Jack's POV

The next morning was pretty usual for me and Alex. We got up, rushed to get ready, and got out. We weren't sure if we were still being followed or not, but we took no chances at hanging around for more than one night.

The next place we stopped was Indiana. We went into one of the cities and found a hotel, then went out to eat again. "You know, if you forget about the people chasing us, we're just on a road trip." I said cheerily. Alex half-smiled at him before looking back down at his food. "Lex, what's wrong?"

"Tay's funeral... It was supposed to be today..." He said, looking down. "I have to call Jenna. I have to tell her something, she can't just sit there wondering why I'm not at her girlfriend's funeral!" He said desparately.

I paused, unsure. "Okay. Okay, fine." I said finally. "Obviously don't tell her the truth.. Um, tell her-" I was cut off by Alex's phone ringing. My heart leapt in my chest, knowing it could be bad news. I could tell he felt the same as he looked up at me with a scared expression.

"Hello?" He said tentatively. His expression turned terrified at the voice on the other line. He handed the phone to me. "I-It's Austin... He's asking for you." He explained, his voice shaking.

"How did he get your number?" I asked rhetorically, taking the phone. "What do you want, Carlile?"

"I have something of yours..." He said cruelly. "Your boy toy's little friend won't make it past today." I looked at Alex with wide eyes, hoping against hope that he was lying.

"You're lying. You've done this to others, I know you're lying." I said, keeping eye contact with Alex.

"Am I?" He asked. I could hear the smirk in his voice. There was a rustling sound on the other end before Jenna started speaking frantically.

"Jack! Jack, he said he and Alan were friends of yours, he said he just wanted to talk! He's part of that drug cartel, please!! Please tell me it's not true, this has to be some sick joke!" She was hysterical, and before I could answer, Austin's voice came from the other line.

"Do you still think I'm lying, Jacky?"

Tears filled my eyes. I knew that no matter what, Jenna would be killed. I held the phone away from me, speaking to Alex. "Alex.. He has Jenna. He wants us to come, but listen. Whether we come or not, she'll be killed..." I said pleadingly. I felt bad for Alex, knowing she was his last connection to L.A.

"No..." He snatched the phone from my hands before I could speak. "You bastard, you let her go!!" Alex screamed through the phone. "She has nothing to do with this, you fucking let her go!!"

I grabbed the phone back and took Alex outside, putting it on speaker. "Oh, that's not going to happen." Austin said tauntingly. He spoke again, but this time to Jenna. "Where are they?"