Chapter 53

Ty

The light flicks on and I whip around to see a figure standing in the hallway.

"Ty?"

It's Ella. She looks confused. I walk back up the steps and into the light.

"Ella."

I walk closer to her and she spots the bag slung over my shoulder. She looks at me confused, then sees the crusted blood on my lip. She gives a sad sigh and her eyes well up like she's about to cry. She extends her hand and wipes at my bloody lip. A small tear trickles down her cheek as she pulls me in for a hug.

I've known Ella since I was little. She took care of me for a good amount of my childhood until I went to school. She somehow never seems to age.

She starts stroking my back like she did when I was little. She stroked my back like this when I fell off my bike. I had scraped my knee and I thought it was the end of the world. She tilted my chin up and told me that I was like a superhero, and all the great superheros got injured sometimes.

She stroked my back like this when I broke an expensive vase. I think that was the first time my father ever hit me. He told me I was worthless. I cried and cried. Ella pulled me in tight and told me that I was worth more than any silly vase. I smiled and she wiped away my tears.

She even did it when no one came to my birthday party. I had no one to invite. I didn't have any friends. It was just me and her and an empty table full of plates and a cake too big for us to eat alone. I had even invited my mom and dad, but neither of them bothered to show up either. I cried and she hugged me, then challenged me to a cake eating contest which she let me win. She dabbed frosting on my nose, then hugged me and stroked my back like she did every time I needed her.

I pulled away from her hug and gave her a sad smile which she generously returned. She went on her toes and kissed my forehead. I internally laughed. I used to be so much shorter than her.

She looked at me, eyes muddled with tears.

"Go," she said.

I nodded, then didn't look back.