3 | Light

Despite a pitch-black phantom known as (Y/n)'s overbearing past being a prevalent nightmare tormenting her life, she desperately and uncompromisingly retained one small light burning deep down within her pure, benevolent core.

Yet, the world persistently worked against (Y/n)'s determination, a pernicious migraine nearly crippling her as she blankly inspected her immaculately dressed figure through the reflection of the bathroom's crystalline mirror. (Y/n) kept her jaw snapped shut, refusing to display weakness, bringing her skillful fingers up to fasten the zipper of her chosen jacket. The ridiculously soft material, painstakingly threaded in complimentary patterns, brought out the best in the bland, indiscriminate colors chosen.

(Y/n)'s dark, doubtful (e/c) eyes hopped between inspecting each characteristic critically before staring directly into her depleted irises. Getting captured within their abysmal depths, the fluorescent bulbs above unsteadily faded which accompanied a foreboding crackle, drowning (Y/n) in overpowering darkness for an indeterminate flicker. When the lights brightened once more, (Y/n)'s cheerless image was replaced by a demonic appearance.

(Y/n) gasped disbelievingly, stumbling backward until forcefully smacking the wall behind her. Several unimportant toiletries tumbled off the sink counter, crashing to the linoleum floor as her arms accidentally brushed the products away. A disturbing, abominable identical match of (Y/n) consciously watched, bloodcurdlingly stock-still, its portrait wickedly smiled, eyes confiscated by sinister excitement. (Y/n)'s accelerated pulse quadrupled, breathing ragged from the fear flooding her scorching veins. It grinned acrimoniously, teeth sharp and deadly, and the monster's lips parted slowly, mouthing a spiteful, accusing sentence.

"You shouldn't hate yourself, you know, it's not very healthy."

Though (Y/n) couldn't hear, the figure's shoulders began frenziedly trembling, a cruel indicator of the malignant laughter being intentionally directed at her expense. Bitterness accumulating and overflowing, (Y/n) yelled despairingly, throwing a ruthless punch toward her shadowy doppelgänger without thinking. The transparent glass immediately shattered, pieces raining down around (Y/n), the demolished shards only showing her broken counterpart. Inhaling and exhaling distraughtly, the frazzled girl regained her bearings, rinsing the leaking blood from her lacerated knuckles, wrapping gauze over the vermillion cuts expertly.

Control, (Y/n), you need to regain control.

(Y/n) hopelessly tried calming her somber, inextinguishable thoughts and pounding heart, but that helped little. Ignoring the empty space and overall abandoned hush of her apartment, (Y/n) rushed from the bathroom, taking a sharp left into a small foyer where her (f/c) backpack, shoes, and black leather gloves awaited.

(Y/n) slipped on the sneakers and gloves, careful with her hand, grabbing her keys that were attached to a lanyard covered in cartoonish animal designs, perfectly illustrated so they were merrily singing and dancing. The complete opposite of her mood right now. Reassuring herself that everything was fine, (Y/n) twisted the door handle to her temporary home, stepping outside into the mild spring weather. Sweet fragrances of blossomed shrubberies wafted to (Y/n)'s nose, the mixed aromas soothing her with their delightful smell and overall peacefulness of the environment.

Little noise transmitted through the air, just the occasional whistle of a breeze or talking from early-rising civilians.

Shooting into a grueling sprint, (Y/n) commenced her rigorous morning workout. Acutely cutting corners and freeing her overburdened mind from any distractions, she traversed uninhabited walkways, reaching a deserted park. Running passed a compressed boundary of flourishing trees, (Y/n) avoided protruding roots and jutting rocks effortlessly, locating a slightly dilapidated set of stone steps. Nature's elemental world of compatible, fundamental components surrounded (Y/n), captivatingly singing her songs and alleviating a smidge of her piled stress.