Chapter 18: Fifty Shades of Shade

Jack's POV:

Monroe's old eyes bore into mine while he still flashed that grin of his, awaiting my answer.

Finally, I replied. "Well, Monroe...the thing is, we need your help finding someone."

His smile quickly disappeared as he narrowed his eyes in sudden annoyance. "Now, how many times do I have to tell you, Jack. You shouldn't bother me with your petty affairs. Not when I have much more important work to do."

Natalya shot me a look as if asking 'is cleaning halls and bathroom stalls a life and death situation?'

I ignored her and turned back to the old janitor. "I know, Monroe. But, trust me, you'll wanna help after what I'm about to tell you."

Monroe's white brow arched in curiosity as wrinkles creased his rather spotty forehead, his eyes forming a question he need not voice out.

I lifted my chin as I replied, "I know who the shadyss is." I felt a sense of accomplishment as I uttered those words, like I was the first to know such a big secret.

Monroe, on the other hand, looked taken aback. He quickly slid off his desk as he went to stand behind it, his hands gripping the sides very tightly, making his knuckles grow white.

A moment of silence hung in the air as Monroe processed the information I had just delivered to him. I quickly glanced towards Natalya to find her gaze distant, her focus far from here.

Monroe then looked directly at me, his eyes prodding me for further information. "So the shadyss you speak of...he's here? In Shady Heights."

I simply nodded. "Yes, Monroe. But not he. She."

Monroe's eyes grew ever wider, much to my dismay since he looked exactly like a madman from one of those 60's horror films. I looked towards Natalya and found her still preoccupied, not seeming to have heed what either I nor Monroe have said.

Reaching a hand to place around her shoulder, it caught her attention. Then I peered at Monroe, who had been eyeing Natalya rather curiously.

"Monroe," I finally announced, "this is Natalya. She is the chosen one."

Natalya's POV:

I blinked profusely at Jack before nervously shifting my eyes towards Monroe, who was eyeing me with an incredulous expression on his face. I glanced towards Jack again then back to Monroe.

"Say wuh?" I managed to utter.

I didn't quite hear what Jack just said, partially because I was still quite shocked about the whole thing. I mean, holy crap, my friends are supernatural creatures! And all this time, I thought I was the abnormal one in the group. Go figure.

I guess it was safe to say I hadn't quite accepted the whole supernatural ordeal. But considering the fact that I was almost killed by vampires last night, I think I was beginning to consider the idea of going along with whatever plans my friends have to rid ourselves of a very 'batty' situation.

The other reason why I wasn't listening to what Jack said was because I was focusing my gaze on something on the floor behind Monroe. I spotted it as soon as he stood up from his swivel chair. For a moment I thought it was just his shadow, but as I stared intently at it, it appeared to be moving on its own, while Monroe stood perfectly still. Then I started thinking perhaps it was just a very black cat, but this, too, seemed unlikely as it was too long and...well, wispy. It kind of looked like a black smokey vapor, reminding me of the kind you'd find brewing in a witch's cauldron.

I peered at Jack and Monroe to see if they noticed it, too, but they were too wrapped up in conversation. I was about to say something to Jack when the dark figure on the floor started swaying in dance-like movements. I blinked my eyes a couple of times and slightly shook my head to assure myself I wasn't hallucinating. I closed my eyes for two seconds.