Chapter 1

Avery's POV

"Avery! We have company staying here for a couple of days! Make sure Daniel's room is clean!" I heard my mom yell from the kitchen.

"Okay," I responded. I never bothered complaining about cleaning Daniel's room and having Christian, Tyler or Anna do it instead. It gave me more time to be in Daniel's room, which reminded me of him. That's why I do it. Daniel's room became our guest room after he left. His room obviously is never much of a mess, seeing as Daniel doesn't live here anymore. My mom just wants me to make sure that it's ready for someone to stay in. I go in Daniel's room all the time. That's where I play my guitar and work on my covers. Being in there when I play makes me feel like I can accomplish anything.

I got the vacuum out and began to work on Daniel's room, listening to his music while I did so. Eventually, the floor was spotless, the bookshelves were dusted, and Daniel's bed was made perfectly. I ran to my room and grabbed my guitar before returning to Daniel's to play a song. Shortly after, I heard my mom again. "Avery! Our guest is here! Come greet him!" I expected it to be one of mom's friends who was in town for work, but who I saw was someone completely different.

"Dani!" I screamed as I enveloped my brother into a hug.

"Why don't I ever get a bear hug when I come home from work?" asked Tyler

"Because you and I aren't telepathically connected like I am with Dani."

"Wait, you guys are telepathically connected?" asked Christian, confused. 

"No. I was joking," I told him.

"Anna! Get off your phone and come say hi to your brother!" my mom yelled across the house.

"Coming," Anna replied. I could almost see her rolling her eyes. She loves us, she really does, she's just going through the stage where all she needs in life is space and her phone. As Anna rounded the corner, I saw her phone in her hand. She probably thought mom just wanted her to say hi to Tyler, but once she saw Daniel in the doorway, she almost dropped her phone. Anna loves Daniel almost as much as I do, but no one can top my love for that dork.

"Daniel!" Anna screamed as she swallowed Daniel in a hug.

"Hi, Anna. How is school going?" asked Daniel.

"Stop sounding like an adult Daniel," Christian whined.

"So Dani, what made you decide to come back and visit?" I asked him.

"Uhh, Christmas is coming? That ring a bell?" he questioned.

"Avery you have the memory of a goldfish, like, the cracker," Christian joked.

"I know. It's a serious issue," I played along.

"Aves, I want to talk to you. Let's go to my room," suggested Daniel.

"Okay. Let's go," I replied. I followed Daniel up the stairs and into his room.

"Go get your guitar. I had to leave mine in L.A. I want to hear you play. It's been so long since I heard your voice, and I want to know if you've improved." Daniel told me. I nodded my head in response, bounced off the bed and ran to my room. I grabbed my guitar and bolted back to Daniel. "Play me a song," Daniel commanded.  I started to strum the guitar lightly. "Sing," Daniel added. I nodded my head and decided to sing Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes.

I won't lie to you
I know he's just not right for you
And you can tell me if I'm off
But I see it in your face
When you say that he's the one that you want
And you're spending all your time
In this wrong situation
And anytime you want it to stop