Chapter 2

It was a hot summers day and a cool breeze was blowing, I sat outside on the balcony stuck in a daze of nothingness. A soft voice brought me back to reality. 

"Beautiful day. "

"Huh? oh Layla... uh yeah," I responded still lost in my own world. 

"You miss him," she stated as she sat down next to me. 

"Don't you?" I turned to face her. 

A small smile graced her face, as she stared at the setting sun, but I could see the gleam that once sparkled in her eyes had vanished. 

"I do." 

I sighed as turned back to the view, both of us sat in silence lost in our own thoughts until the sun had finally set. It was still early in the evening on New year's eve and Uncle Joey and Aunty Riley were coming over with their daughter to celebrate with me and mum. It was tradition but now it felt like they were trying to fill in the spaces left by dad and Cole so mum and I wouldn't be lonely. Truth be told I still felt alone though, in the company of others, no one could soothe my anxiousness when it came to anything, but Cole. He was always there and now he simply isn't. And to say I wasn't coping would be an wouldn't be the half of it. 

"I should get going." 

I turned to find she was still sitting next to me, "Layla, if you're not doing anything later you're most welcome to come back and celebrate with us." The invite was out my mouth before I even realised.

"That's kind of you, Ivar. I'll try my best to make it back," she smiled. 

I know she will be back, She had told Cole that she was living alone. Her family had moved to Australia and she had stayed behind and most of her friends had travelled abroad to start their career, she worked for mum so the only friends from work were my family. 

"No worries." 

"How's it going son? You been taking good care of your mum?" 

"Yeah dad, she's been doing good since the last meltdown." 

"That's what I like to hear, your uncle Joey and aunt Riley coming over later?" 

Dad was looking tired, his hair dark brunette hair was dishevelled as if he had been pulling at it. His ty was loose around his neck and his suit wrinkled, he was losing his youth faster with all the stress. 

"Yes of course," I sighed. 

"Chin up boy, whats wrong?" a creased formed in my dad's brow. 

"Nothing, I'm good." 

"I know you're  missing Cole, but son you'll be fine. It won't be long till we all come home." 

"Yeah." 

"Ivar, listen to me. Just because Cole and I aren't home to help doesn't me that you're alone. I know it's not going to be easy with your mum, but Layla is there to help and Uncle Joey is close by. You know if anything was to happen, just to call and I'll be home as soon as I can," My dad's eyes pleaded for understanding.