Chapter 19 - Pants on Fire

A private car picked up and dropped off the girls Saturday morning to a restaurant where people wouldn't recognize the international pop-star. It was a cute gated spot set next to the Ottawa River, overlooking the west end.

Rhea jumped into Warren's arms and held him tightly, inhaling his comforting scent. The two had been apart for a couple of days now, no thanks to Christian, who had organized Red's fan meetings a few days before the concert. Rhea argued that the jerk was trying to make her miserable on purpose, but Warren assured his girlfriend that it wasn't entirely his friend's fault. Warren wanted to spend time with the boys before Red's schedule really got out of hand. He promised to text Rhea in between signings and the private parties Christian held.

"I missed you so much!" Rhea breathed onto his firm chest. "You're not allowed to leave me again, okay?"

"I missed you more cutie," Warren picked her up and held her mid-air, ignoring the groans that came from Tegan, Sera, Christian and Red. "You look so perfect right now, super edible some might say."

Rhea giggled. "Put me down you big goof!" Secretly, she was enjoying all the attention her adorable boyfriend was giving her. If their friends wanted to be grossed out then that was their problem, she was done suppressing her feelings for the suit-wearer.

"Why are they so nauseating?" Rhea heard Sera speak. "We should have brought a barf bag with us."

"Hey!" Rhea snapped as soon as Warren brought her back to the ground. "Can't you be happy that we are happy?"

Tegan laughed. "You know we are happy for you guys, but also...gross."

Sera and Red nodded in solidarity. Rhea made a face at them just as her eyes connected with Christian Lu. The jerk was looking more displeased than ever. Go figure. The longer she watched him, the faster she realized that his eyes were strictly set on Tegan. Ha! Good luck with that, Rhea wanted to say. Quick on her feet, she linked arms with her friend and dragged her away from the predator.

The secluded eatery looked like a cozy modern home and Rhea could spot the patio lounge from where she was standing. It was set on the docks above the river, with giant umbrellas, countless chairs and fancy tableware. According to Red, one of his good friends from university was the head-chef. Christian called last week and reserved the entire eatery for brunch. Warren grabbed Rhea's available hand and asked Tegan if he could take his girlfriend away for a moment. "Sure," Tegan was quick to give her up. "Just don't let me catch you two making out."

Rhea showed teeth. "We don't PDA," she said as her boyfriend pecked her head gently.

"Yeah right," Red scoffed.

Shrugging, Rhea walked side-by-side with the suit-wearer. She had no idea why he wanted to hold hands so desperately but she didn't want to question a good thing. It was just nice to have him around again. Blindly, she followed Warren as he took charge and got the group to their reserved table. The big booth was stationed next to big windows that looked out the river and patio lounge. The hostesses couldn't stop gushing at the handsome men and once they realized Red Jensen was one of them, their excitement became more apparent. Rhea couldn't blame them. Red was looking darling in his long shorts and casual dress-shirt. His signature fedora completed the ensemble with a brand-name watch and slip-ons.

"Any drinks to start off?" their waiter asked.

"Waters all around please," Red said.

"Three juices for us girls!" Sera spoke up. "If you don't mind."

"And for you gentlemen?" The waiter acknowledged Warren and Christian, who asked for a cup of coffee and some hot-tea.

"I'll have some warm tea too," Tegan said her eyes connecting with Christian. Rhea felt her heart sink, angry at the chemistry she was feeling between the two. This was her fear for the weekend. Tegan getting reeled in by the jerk and making the mistake of sleeping with him again. Should she say something to her? Rhea wanted to support her friend, but she also wanted her to be careful around Christian Fucken Lu. Everyone at the table knew he couldn't hold a relationship to save his life. So why was he so interested in Tegan? What could Rhea do to make him understand that it was hurting her best friend? How could anyone tell a soulless tool that he was breaking a person apart?