A Spark

Chapter 2: A spark

Day 21; three weeks has passed since I fell for her. I was in a dilemma, stuck between choices. My heart solely wanted love, and wanted to take my friendship with Cheryl to "the next level". On the other hand, I was still a student. School and homework had used up a lot of my time, and my mind did not see a logical outcome of us being together.

Hence, I held on to the sole belief that we could remain just friends. Things were tough, seeing each other everyday and knowing we could have been much more if not for my decision.

Day 26; the feeling came back. Out of the blue, I felt a certain obligation to fall in love with her. I was unsure of my condition or what exactly I was thinking, but every part of me just wanted her. My parents taught me to divide my things into needs and wants. I needed to study hard for my exams. However, I also wanted the relationship with Cheryl.

Day 28; I consulted many people, all the answers were similar. "You guys look cute together, go for it!",it was as if all their minds were controlled. I prepared myself as I planned cautiously for tomorrow. I thought to myself, "It will be the day, the day my life changes!"

The very next day, I jumped out of bed. Pumped yet nervous, I approached her in school. "Hey, so lately I've been thinking..." I murmured, then out of a sudden, I froze. My mind went blank and I went speechless. Embarrassed, I walked off immediately. That was one of the most awkward times of my life.

I went off and reflected. Unable to get over the situation, I instead wanted to know Cheryl's reaction. Her friends told me she was upset I failed, and I needed to do something better to win her heart. Conflicted, I brainstormed for a logical solution.

Day 31; I mustered up my courage and took a dive. I decided to text her instead, "Hey. So, sorry about the other day. I panicked. I hope that does not affect what I'm about to say. So... lately the thought of you has been running through my mind, and I can't deny that I love you a lot. So.. will you be my girlfriend?". I could hear my heart beat like drums as I waited frantically for her reply.

After what seemed like eternity, she finally replied. I quickly grabbed my phone and saw the message. Moments after, I was completely silent. My heart was bursting. I could hardly contain my excitement.

"I finally won her heart! YES!" I exclaimed to myself. I guess she felt the same way too, that little tinkle in the heart, a spark.