Birthday Disaster

Chapter 6: Birthday disaster

Time flies, it was only a week before her birthday. I was still short of $5 and panicked as I thought of how I was suppose to come up with the money in a week.

I foolishly decided that it was okay for me not to eat during recess for a few days to save up enough money.

As her birthday approached, I was feeling ill. I tried to keep myself as healthy as possible. She had planned to go out after school on her birthday with a group of friends.

Before I knew it, it was her birthday. I still felt ill in the morning but I ignored it just to see her. When I reached school, Rachel handed me the present and I placed it together with a short letter I prepared.

With a gleeful smile, I sped off to her classroom. As I enter her class, I could hear whispers all around, "ooh Cheryl's boyfriend is here." I bet I was too obvious. Before I could surprise her, she turned around with a cheerful grin, as if she knew I was coming.

I handed her the present and she hugged me in return. I blushed as I let go of her to quickly return to class in time for lessons. After waving goodbye, I dashed to my class.

Out of the blue, I felt sick. My stomach hurt and I was feverish. I called my mum to pick me up after school immediately so I could go see a doctor.

I did not know how to break it to her so I told my friend, Renee, to tell her I could not make it. It was the most stupid decision I made as it only caused her to be angrier.

She assumed I lied to her to go home to play games. I felt that she did not trust me that much after the first incident that happened and that I had to make it up to her, again.

The next day, I went to her class and wanted to apologize. However, before I could say a word, I was escorted out of the classroom by her close friend, Cally.

Cally told me that Cheryl was depressed that me, her one and only boyfriend, did not show up for her birthday. Curious, I asked how I could make it up to her. Cally did not have an answer but insisted I should not talk to Cheryl.

I was lost, confused and definitely worried about the status of our relationship.