Chapter 18

Now downstairs, everyone gathered at the table to have dinner as Tanner took his seat next to Autumn who, once again, seemed very shy that he was having dinner with her and her family. But hopefully, she wouldn't be like this the whole time.

"So Tanner-" her father began to speak "You thinking about going to college?"

"I am actually" Tanner replied with a smile "Right now I'm thinking about attending the University of Washington."

"Good choice," he commented, "What are you planning on majoring in?"

"At the moment, film making. I may change it later."

"You made any films yet?" Kara asked with her mouth full.

"Only a few, they're not that great though cause I don't have good editing software, it's mainly just for me and my friends."

"Well you gotta show me some of them someday" she wiped her mouth with her napkin "So I can make fun of them."

He snickered "I'll see about that."

Autumn gave a small giggle while twirling her pasta onto her fork.

"Autumn you're pretty quiet tonight" Kara observed, "How come you're not talking like you always do?"

"What?" Tanner raised an eyebrow.

"You don't know this-" she told him "But Autumn may be all quiet at school, but when she's home, she's always blabbering about things, most of the time it's things we don't even care about."

"Really?" he smirked with interest as he turned to Autumn who was avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Well I don't really have anything to talk about" she muttered.

"Oh great then," Kara remarked as she went back to dining on her pasta.

At that moment, Tanner couldn't help but wonder if is Kara teases Autumn every day. He gets that they were sisters and all, but was the teasing and annoyance to her behavior too much for Autumn considering she had a disability?

By the time dinner was over, Tanner had to leave as he gathered his things and headed outside with Autumn.

"Thanks for letting him stay for dinner" he thanked "You're parents are really nice. Although I'm not sure how I feel about Kara."

"Well you'll hate her more once you get to know her" she grinned as they both gave a small laugh.

"Well-" he smiled "I guess I'll see you on Monday."

"You too" she smiled back.

"And um, are you sure you don't want a ride in the mornings?"

"I'm fine" she assured, "Morning bus rides are okay to me."

"But you'll be okay if I drove you home?"

"Well I have to tell my parents first, but I'm sure they'll be okay with it."

"Well alright then" he smiled "I hope you have a good time on your birthday tomorrow."

"Thanks" she gave a small smile.

After bidding farewell, Tanner got into his car and watched as Autumn went back inside. After she was gone, he started his car and drove off. But while doing so, once again he couldn't stop thinking about Autumn. It was like every day she was in his head, and just thinking about her made his stomach all warm and his palms sweaty. He tried to remind himself that he was still with Dayna, but that would just brush away and he would think of Autumn again.

Throughout the weekend, Tanner spent his days either at home or out with Max or Dayna. And to his surprise, Dayna didn't act like the bad girl she was before. Perhaps it was just a mood swing, but he wasn't quite sure. He still had the idea of calling things off with her, but he still needed to find the right time to do so.

And as soon as it was Monday, after pushing his way through the crowd of the main building, Tanner spotted Autumn who was about to head up the stairs as he raced towards her and managed to stop her.

"Hey Autumn" he greeted with a friendly smile.

"Hi" she greeted back with a smile while hugging her binder.

"So, how does it feel to be 18?"

"To be honest, I don't feel 18."

"Just wait" he smirked "It'll get there soon. But at least now you're considered a young adult."

"And yet I know I won't feel like an adult."

"Just hang in there, and if you help you know who to talk to" he winked as she gave a bashful giggle.

But at that moment, Dayna suddenly came up and shoved herself between the two while facing Tanner.

"Hey why aren't you answering any of my texts?" she demanded.

And just as he thought, she was back to her old rude self again.

"Hey do you mind?" he asked annoyed "I was talking to her."

She turned to Autumn who stood there shyly.

"Her?" she pointed a bit surprised.

"Don't be rude" he ordered "Yes her. And sorry I haven't been replying to your texts, my phone must be on silent."

"Well turn the damn volume up" she complained.

"I know" he groaned "Look I'll talk to you later, I gotta get to class."

He then turned to Autumn and said goodbye with a small smile before heading off. But just as she was about to head up the stairs, Dayna suddenly spoke to her making her stop.

"Autumn," she called, "A word please."

Already knowing what was going to happen, Autumn didn't know whether to just make a run for it or listen to what Dayna had to say, she was frozen.

"Who are you exactly?" Dayna questioned in a honeyed tone that sent shivers through Autumn's body.

"Excuse me?" she replied confused.

"One minute you're sitting by yourself with your thoughts and now you finally open that mouth of yours. Are you like emo or something?"

"Uh, no" Autumn answered a bit timidly.

"Then what are you doing talking to my boyfriend?" she demanded while crossing her arms.

"We're just friends okay? Nothing more."

"Then how come Tanner never told me about you?"

Not knowing what to say, Autumn just shrugged while getting too scared to look her in the eye.

"Hey look at me when I'm talking to you" Dayna ordered while snapping her fingers in front of Autumn's face as her heart was racing with fear "I don't know who you think you are, some special need girl who thinks she can talk to my boyfriend. Well listen hear Autumn, Tanner is mine, stay away from him."

And with that she turned and strolled off, leaving Autumn shaking from the threat.