Chapter 28

By the time Tanner made it to lunch, he saw that Autumn wasn't sitting at her usual spot, thinking she must be eating in the restroom or somewhere else to avoid him. And since Max had to skip school today to help with his family, Tanner sat by himself at a table, barely touching his food as he just sat there glumly. 

No one even bothered to talk to him, no idea why, but he wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. That is until someone took their seat in front of him, and as he looked up he was surprised to see Kara who stared at him with a blank expression, and she didn't have her tray of food with her.

"Um-" he mumbled, a bit confused to why she just decided to show up "What's up?"

"I know it wasn't your fault during the night at the cafe" she finally spoke.

"Oh," he replied dully, "Autumn told you didn't she?"

"Dayna is a fucking bitch, you did the right thing by breaking up with her."

"Yeah but now Autumn won't even talk to me" he frowned "She doesn't even want to be near me anymore, it's like how she was before I met her."

"Yeah, I've noticed. You know ever since she met you she's been so happy to finally have a friend. Throughout our lives, she's always been alone, and I thought that she would be alone her whole life, but then you came along and did the unthinkable, you became her friend."

Tanner bit his lip while looking down at his clasped hands.

"She really is something" he admitted "She's not like anyone I've ever met, she's so... unique. It's why I like her so much."

She raised an eyebrow "What do you mean by that? Do you, like her like her?"

He took a deep breath "I do."

Kara's face lit up by the sound of that.

"I really do" he confessed with a small smile "I love her, she's amazing."

But at that moment his smile faded.

"But when I told her this morning-" he mumbled sadly, "She said that she would love to be with me, but she couldn't because she doesn't wanna hurt me."

"Let me guess" she sighed, "She told you that she always loses interests in those who befriend her?"

"Yeah" he sighed gloomily as he rested his forehead into his palms "I don't know what to do, I don't wanna lose her, I don't know what I would do without her."

"Wow," Kara remarked astonished, "You really do like her, no guy has ever felt this way about her."

He looked up "Really?"

"Before you came along, guys barely talked to her. In fact, I think it's time you learn the truth."

"What truth?"

"About what happened before we moved here, and about her scar."

This was it, this was the moment Tanner would finally learn about Autumn's past and her self harm scar.

"I'm listening" he declared.

"Alright" she began "A year before we moved here, Autumn really liked this guy at school, but like always, she was too shy to talk to him. But one day, she overheard him talking to his friends about how weird she was and why she has no friends. And when she got home she got into this big argument with our dad about how easy it was to make friends but how hard it was for her. But after hours of her being in her room, I managed to walk in and found her on the floor against her bed with our dad's miniature knife in her hand and a bloody scar on her wrist.

I called our parents up and after cleaning her cut we all had this long talk about how much we love her and that she shouldn't do this to herself. And the next day we all went to see her counselor and that's when we found out she has Asperger's. All of those signs made so much sense to why she was so different, I can't believe we never found out before."

Tanner sat there speechless, not knowing what to say. He just found out the story behind her scar, and now all he wanted to do was find Autumn and hold her. But at that point, he heard Kara gave a sniff while wiping her watery eyes.

"I'm really glad we found out that day" she murmured, "For all I know she could have killed herself that day, I could have lost my sister."

"You know I gotta ask, why do you tease her so much when you know she has this disability?"

"I don't tease her because I think she's a retard, I tease her because I'm her sister and I love her. I would never do anything to hurt her like that, I only do it to a level of annoyance. I do love her, and I know she loves me, it's just we both have hard times showing it."

He could see the truth in her eyes, knowing that even though Autumn was really sensitive to teasing, that's what siblings do.

"And look-" she added "I know that Autumn wants to be with you, she's just afraid because of what happened in her past. But she needs to know that she could change that, you can change that."

"What do you suggest I do then?"

"Well, first I suggest you give Autumn some space for a while, for someone like her it takes time to calm down after a hard experience. When I know she's ready I'll tell you, and then go talk to her, she needs to know that you're willing to stay by her side."

He took a deep breath, nodding in agreement.

"I had no idea you gave such good advice" he commented with a small smile.

"Yeah well don't tell anyone" she smirked, "Especially Autumn, the last thing I want is for her to know that I have a heart."

He snickered "Your secret's safe with me."