The King and The Beats

During a tour, we got very few days off. Those days we did have free should be counted as blessings. We finally had a day where we could breath in peace without any screaming or projectiles. I should have been relaxed, but I was far from it. I felt antsy being stuck in that hotel room. My fingers itched for a bit of a drum despite having played every night since the tour began.

When you spend months in a constant state of movement; when you were never not busy, you get used to it. It becomes natural to be busy. Being relaxed was both unnatural and boring. My body was used to going and doing all of the time, it couldn't handle being still for a subjected period of time. 

Molly and Linda were relaxed on the armchairs, both nearly falling asleep. I sat on the couch with my legs crossed beneath me and a notepad opened in my lap. While the two women in front of me drifted in and out of consciousness, I did my best to calm my nerves.

There was no way I could concentrate. A million things ran through my mind at once, and my muscles were itching to move. I couldn't sit still if my life depended on it. I needed to get out and do something.

"I'm going for a walk," I announced, jumping to stand up.

Molly opened her eyes and gazed at me, "I thought we were relaxing."

"I'm relaxed," I replied, "And I'm bloody bored."

"Like a child, you are."

"A cute child, yes?"

Molly chuckled. Heather toddled over to me from her spot by her Mum. She gripped my pants leg and looked up at me with puppy dog eyes, "Can I come too, Melly?"

"If it's alright with your Mum."

Heather turned to Linda, her eyes wide and pleading. Linda smiled at her daughter, "I suppose you can go, if you promise to be good for Melly."

"I promise!" Heather giggled.

I gripped her hand and smiled, "Come on, then, let's have an adventure."

Heather laughed as I grabbed her hand. I swung it dramatically as we skipped off to the door. From behind me, I could hear Molly giggling.

The hall was completely empty. Our floor was abandoned except for us and the sleeping Ellen. The lads had gone off somewhere, but they wouldn't tell me where. All I knew was that I was bored without them. Those few times where I wished they would show up at my door with fake beards and a stupid plan, they never did. 

Heather and I skipped over to the lift, laughing the entire time. The little girl was bouncing around like a rubber ball that never lost momentum. She could tire out even the most energetic adult. I shut the door to the lift and turned to her.

"How about an ice cream, yeah?" I asked, "I'm sure your Mum won't mind."

Heather's entire face lit up like a light bulb. She squeezed my hand as tightly as her little fingers would allow her and squealed shrilly. My ears nearly burst at the sound of her squeal.

The lift stopped at the third floor. Both Heather and I turned to watch as the doors opened to reveal two teenage girls. They were talking together, but stopped as soon as the lift opened. The first girl blinked rapidly before squealing.

"Oh my God, it's Amelia McCartney!"

They jumped in just as the lift closed. I backed up to the wall, doing my best to smile widely and hide any sort of fear growing in my heart. Every other encounter I've had with fans didn't end well, and I didn't expect this one to be any different. I shoved Heather behind me and smiled, "'Ello, girls."