The Staircase

Just as the doctor predicted, Ringo was able to rejoin us after a week and a half in the hospital. He joined the tour when we were back in Europe, touring through Ireland and Scotland. We were so close to home, and yet, it felt further than ever.

"We're glad to have you back, mate," John clapped Ringo's shoulder as they walked into the dressing room.

Ringo smiled, "Glad to be back."

I didn't realize how much I had missed his wonky smile until I saw it again. His smile had the uncanny ability to light up an entire room. He could make the saddest people smile the brightest, and the most serious people laugh the loudest. None of us realized how we relied on that smile to get us through the stress of the tour. Things didn't seem quite so bright when Ringo wasn't there laughing with us.

There was a short list of things that got me through that tour. Through the stress, the headaches, the exhaustion, and the ever looming threat of giving up, I looked to a few things to keep me going. Ringo's smile was one of them. One look at his wonky, lopsided, grin that showed too much teeth and I felt like laughing despite everything happening around us. When I was scared of what was to come or when I felt like falling over, I looked to Molly. All she had to do was look at me, and I felt the energy of a thousand suns. With her by my side, anything was possible, I only had to believe it. With my best friends and my love with me every step of the way, things didn't seem so bad. 

"The fans were the happiest of all," I commented, "Screamed louder than ever, I'd say."

Paul cringed, "Quiet down, I've got a headache."

"You're not the only one, Paul," Molly replied.

She was resting her head on my shoulder, squeezing her eyes shut in an attempt to block the headache. I had one of my own pounding through my cranium, but I had long since gotten used to it. Headaches were a part of life when you went on stage every night, especially when you were surrounded by screaming teenagers. I had long since forgotten what life was like before the constant headache.

"I'm glad not to have shoes thrown at me all the time," I wrinkled my nose.

John chuckled, "Most of 'em missed you."

"Most."

I shook my head as John laughed. Molly squeezed her eyes shut tighter and blocked her ears with her palm. She grumbled under her breath, something about John. Though I couldn't understand it, I knew her well enough to know it wasn't good. 

"Quite the ladies girl, aren't ya, Melly?" John teased.

I sneered at him. With Molly on one shoulder and Janice on the other, I could see where he got it from, but I only rolled my eyes. My heart only belonged to one girl and one girl only.

"Bugger off, John," I replied.

John laughed, earning a glare from Paul, "Shut up, the lot of you, me head's about to explode."

He buried his face in his hands, groaning the entire time. I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. The pounding was slowing down, but it wasn't going to go away until I fell asleep. Sleep seemed to be the only cure for a concert hangover.

Janice coughed harshly, like she was choking on a razor blade. Instantly, my eyes were on her. The last time someone coughed weirdly, they were put in the hospital. She coughed for thirty seconds before squeezing her eyes tightly.

"Jan, you alright?" I whispered.

She nodded, "Just a little thirsty, that's all."

I frowned. There was no water in that room, and we couldn't go out. Brian had ordered all of us to stay in that room until the car arrived to take us back to the hotel. We had all learned quickly not to disobey Brian. Either we found the consequences on our own, or he made sure they were delivered. Brian was a kind man, but he was strict, especially when it came to the safety of his boys.