What Did I Do? [Frank Chapter]

I ran home quickly, wiping the stray tears from my cheeks. Gerard had flinched away when I hugged him. Flinched like I hurt him. I didn't want to hurt him. As I approached my house, I heard my brother and mom screaming at each other from inside. I immediately turned around, wanting to be anywhere, but there.

Instead, I simply walked up and down the street, rubbing at my wrists, like I always did when I thought deeply. I did this until I noticed it getting dark. I thought about going home for a moment before remembering Gerard's offer for me to stay over. I hope it still stands. I made my way to his house quickly. I noticed his mom's car wasn't in the driveway and remembered Gerard saying something about Mikey's bass lessons being tonight. I noticed the door was unlocked and cautiously poked my head in: "Gerard...?" No answer.

I started to worry slightly. I slowly walked inside, closing the door softly behind me and clicking the lock. A smell hit my nose like a bullet. A familiar and all too terrifying smell.

Alcohol. The house smelled just like my own, not as it had earlier. I started to look around frantically: "Gerard?!" I heard someone move upstairs, right above the living room. About where Gerard's room was. I rushed upstairs, wanting to find Gerard before he made a mistake he couldn't fix. His door was closed and there was a broken bottle of booze in the hallway. I inspected it, noticing the blood staining the glass. I opened Gerard's door to find him sitting against the wall, a large bottle of whisky in one hand. The other hand, I noticed, was cut and still bleeding.

He noticed me immediately and slurred: "Heeey, *hic* Frankkkkk. What's uuuuupppppppp?" He stretched out his words, indicating that he was indeed, very drunk. I walked over to him slowly, staring at him. "Gerard..." He hiccuped and giggled drunkenly. "What's *hic* wrong, Frankieeeee?" I sighed and said softly: "Why are you drinking?" He shrugged, taking another swig from the whisky. "I dunno, man, just *hic* needed to forget abou' life, ya know?" I curled my fingers around the bottle hesitantly, not sure how drunk Gerard would act. He didn't even seem to notice. He just kept rambling. And he had a horrible case of the hiccups still.

I slowly inched the bottle away from Gerard, who kept rambling about life and miracles and other rancid horseshit like that. I helped him off the ground and into the bathroom. He stank of alcohol. I sat him down on the closed toilet seat and started cleaning his hand up. Just as I finished bandaging his hand, he then proceeded to vomit on the floor, right next to the toilet. I sighed and got a towel. He sniffed softly and hiccuped. I looked up at him to see tears running down his cheeks. "I-I'm s-sorry, *hic* F-F-Frankie..." I got up off the floor and hugged him. "It's okay, Gee. But why did you do it?" He sobbed onto my shoulder. "I'm such a *hic* fuck-up, Frankie. My d-dad didn't even *hic* want me..." I stroked his black hair and murmured: "You're not a fuck-up, Gerard. And your dad's an ass. He's missing out on the best son he could have." Gerard sniffed. "You mean it?" I nodded and smiled weakly: "Of course. Do you want me to stay tonight?" He nodded and I let him lean on me as we made our way to his bed. He then passed out. I sighed and laid down next to him, determined to help Gerard.