41

"Alright Damita. You can do this, you can do this."Damita coached herself. She had been sitting in her car for about 20 minutes trying to gather her thoughts. She breathed in and out, trying to calm herself before she walked into the building. She had promised Amaru that she wouldn't let Katherine make her act foolish today. "I can do this, I can do this."Damita tapped her hand against the steering wheel. It was nervous movement. She breathed deeply once more and climbed out of her car.

Damita locked her doors and started to walk into Dr.Williams office. "She's not here yet. You have some time."Dr.Williams pushed up her glasses.

Damita took a seat on the far end of the couch in her office, because she didn't want Katherine to sit next to her.

"I just want to say that I'm very proud of you for doing this, Damita. This shows a lot of growth. Are you feeling okay, are you having any anxiety?"Dr.Williams took out her clipboard.

"I was before I got here, but my husband helped me calm down some. It started up again in the car, but I was able to get myself right."Damita explained and Dr.Williams nodded her head.

"How is the new medicine treating you? How do you feel today?"Dr.Williams asked.

"I'm very happy today and giddy. I've just been laughing and smiling all morning."Damita giggled.

"Why?"Dr.Williams asked.

"I'm just happy with life. I love my husband, I love my kids. We're all happy and that makes me happy."Damita blushed. That made Dr.Williams smile. She could see that Damita was truly getting better. She had come along way.

"How have you been sleeping? Any dreams?"Dr.Williams asked and Damita happily nodded. "I have the best sleeping medicine in the world."Damita chuckled and played with her ear. "1 dose of that and I'll be out of the rest of the night,"

Dr.Williams chuckled and shook her head. "How often are you taking this medicine Ms.Damita."

"Everyday, twice a day. Sometimes three times a day but who's really counting."Damita started blushing.  They both started to laugh and finally Katherine walked in. Damita laughing ceased almost immediately and she cut her eyes at her. Dr.Williams had started to regret asking her to do this because she was so happy before and this session wasn't going to help that.

"Good Afternoon, Mrs.Jackson. I'm Dr.Anita Williams."She smiled and stuck her hand out for Katherine to shake. "Katherine Jackson."She smiled and took her hand.

Damita remained silent, they both knew who she was. She had nothing to say.

"So, I've asked for this session because In our last session, Amari joined us. Her and Damita's relationship has gotten really strong, so I wanted to kind of see where you two stand as of now. I wanted to see if there's anything worth rekindling."Dr.Williams explained. "So I kind of know how Damita feels about the relationship, but I'd like to hear from you Mrs.Jackson."

Katherine took a long pause before speaking. "I think that my daughter feels like I've been out to get her. I really just wanted better for her all these years."

"You've wanted better for her? What do you mean?"Dr.Williams asked, confused.

"I never wanted her to go to that school. I wanted her to goto somewhere like Harvard or Princeton, and she could have. You know she was valedictorian when she graduated high school? I just felt like the life she chose for herself isn't the life she should have had.  Like sleeping on the floor with that boy, fighting , smoking weed, and getting abused. Jackson women don't live like that. Jackson women don't have mental illnesses."Katherine continued. "I wanted her to be with a man that was on her level. Not somebody who'd having her dropping out of law school and living in the hood with his mother. She wasn't supposed to know that type of life and I felt like I was trying to help her."