Chapter 18. Life Must Hate My Guts

How can you know when your sanity has left you? I mean, is a psycho aware that he's out of his mind and biting his own fingers is remotely acceptable and ethical? 

Because I doubt if we are still mentally-healthy. Apart from me, Nicky and Bryan are acting extremely weird lately due to the fact that we always have our phones in our hands, waiting for texts and calls from Mark, Shane and Kian. None of them has ever returned our calls for 3 days now that we can help but freak out and think that they have been abducted by goons. I'm also considering the involvement of unknown aliens to this case because that's what people usually say when they can't find someone or something. 

Who knows that they do really exist, living among us and might be extraordinarily attractive teenagers like that of the Roswell High? But that's the least thing I want to figure out and a sane person wouldn't think something like that in the first place. 

So I'm really out of my mind?!

Lauren, you're acting like a lunatic, it's not helping.

How can we not go all crazy and worried after they said that they would be on a vacation in Sligo for three weeks? So we're expecting to hear some news about their arrival because it's already been 17 days since they left. Seventeen Days. Almost three weeks now. Everytime we receive a message, we pray that it came from them, only to be disappointed when we open it. The fact that we can't reach them by any means is terrifying. Or, maybe they just can't be bothered to talk to us because they're all busy there?

Either way, this situation is driving us crazy and if we don't hear from them very soon, we might end up in a hospital for psychotic humans.

"A message just came in!" Bryan hops off the couch, shaking his phone in the air. "let's just hope it came from any of them."

With full attention, Nicky and I flank him and crane our necks to get a better view of the text as if our future depends on it. Slowly, Bryan slides his thumb across the keypad and presses the message open.

"Oh."

"Damn."

"No way."

Sighs of frustration escape our mouths. I can't find a word worthy of our expression as a  message from Bryan's sister, Susan, stares back at us. We're way beyond disappointed.

"Will they ever text us back?" Nicky scratches the back of his head.

"Maybe they're busy." There goes my theory.

"Busy?" Bryan snorts. "too busy to forget to check on their phones?"

I lift a shoulder and sit down on the couch, having a debate with my subconscious if I should tell Uncle Louis about it or not. He doesn't have any idea what's going on and there might be a possibility that the boys have contacted him recently.

"Let's not think about them too much, alright? Wherever they are right now, they're safe," Nicky sits down beside me and props his feet up on the stack of pillows opposite him.

"How did you know they're safe?" Bryan plops back on the couch, to my other side. Hence, I'm cramped between him and Nicky. 

"I can feel it in my bones."

Bryan and I stare blankly at him.

Our sanity might have already left us, but not our instincts. At least there's a certain thing that still remains.

---------------

One. Two. Three. Three hours have dragged by yet we still remain seated on the couch that I'm starting to feel claustrophobic. The only difference is that Nicky and Bryan both decided to have a wee relaxation in the form of karaoke whilst I just have my head bowed down, listening to them absent-mindedly and at the same time, contemplating.