E I G H T

"They call her a freak, he would say unique."

Back to school, everything seemed fine beside Charles' stranger experiences

Back to school, everything seemed fine beside Charles' stranger experiences. He tried to conceal it from people, acted naturally like nothing miserable happened in his life. The class was noisy, as the art teacher was sick and there was no substitute, they were just doing the task informally, but mostly just enjoying their free class.

"So... how was your date?" Camilo began the conversation with Charlie, as he was seen focusing on his stupid habit, spinning the bar of his pencil. He just rolled his eyes, too silly to answer, he thought.

"Charlie, come on. Did you kiss her?" Cam raised his eyebrows for times in quick tempo. He grinned widely.

"I wouldn't even call it a date, it's just... creepy," Charlie uttered.

All of a sudden, the class turned quiet. Isadora appeared, standing near the door. She stole the attention of the room occupants, created silence and stared at them. She wore a red dress, and let her hair untied, falling perfectly. She was looking at the people who painted judgment on their faces, but ended up looking at Charlie's dark blue eyes.

The moment froze, Charlie was stunned when their eyes met. He did not have any idea if she was just this beautiful or the sunshine piercing the window radiated on her flawlessly.

"What are you doing here, freak?" said one of the sassy girls who sat on the teacher desk. Some of them laughed, she ignored it.

"Charles," Isadora called, though she did not enter the class. "There's something I need to show you."

"Charlie? Seriously?" the sassy girl responded in disbelief, "Have you ever looked at the mirror? Charlie won't even think you exist."

"Zip it, Sal. She's my friend." said Charlie as he stood up and walked to the door, "What is it about?"

Isa did not reply, but he knew her a bit through her black eyes and her body language, she wanted to be followed as she left without a word.

"Why do you wanna be friends with that freak?" Sally asked, staring in disgust.

"She's a fucking weirdo," One of the audience declared, the others started talking about her.

"Yeah, she's a freak."

"She did nothing to you guys," Charlie uttered.

Camilo giggled, he looked at his friend, "Good luck."

"Oh, come on," Charlie rolled his eyes, he soon left the class.

– – –

In the library there were no other people than them as class was currently held. Charlie took a seat in front of Isadora who he predicted had been busy with a bunch of newspapers in front of her. "Why aren't you attending some class?"

"I've finished the art task, I can go here," she replied shortly.

"Wait, you're joining the art class? I never saw you there."

"You like Beatrice, and she sits in the front row. No wonder you never see behind," said Isa.

"I don't! She likes me doesn't mean I have the same feeling."

"Look," she showed some piece of the newspaper to change the topic. "I found Draco Dale."

Charlie received the sheet, reading it clearly. "Draco Dale, ten years old boy, was found dead inside a bloody red fabric sheet down the cliff at Rattlesnake Point, Utah. He was found by a gardener, Alex Fisher, who had been cutting the tree, but the boy fell off from it. He recognized the boy at Greater Avenue a month ago, often seen playing with his friends."

"The police identified him as the only son of the couple Marley Dale and Trevils Dale. Marley confessed that the boy slept for weeks, no money to check on his medical health, so he decided to throw him from a hundred feet high cliff in Rattlesnake Point."

"Hold on, Trevils Dale?" Charlie felt familiar with the name.

"Madame Trevils," Isa nodded, she handed another paper. It was from 1981, exactly twenty years ago.

"Town Mayor Celebrated The Return Of His Sleeping Son," Charlie was perplexed, disgusted by the headline of the news. "Thomas Craig, one of the headmen and town mayor of Salt Lake City, held a celebration open party in his dwelling. Everybody in range was invited and welcomed to join. The banquet was served with no limit, he personally funded the event himself. It celebrated his beloved son, Dean Craig, ten years old, after his long sleep for a week. The boy had now returned well, though he was still in shock for two days after his awakening."

"And another one," Isa handed a smaller piece of paper. "I can't find more about this one, but I'm sure it is related somehow."

This one was from ten years ago, a small piece of the newspaper. It's written about people who died on the day, February 21st. One of them was a ten years old boy under the name Josh Michael, was buried in Salt Lake City Cemetery.

"Josh Michael?" Charlie once again felt familiar. "The hell, it's Sandra's son!"

"Wow," Isadora was surprised, but it did not change her regular look. "Now everything seems clear."

"What is clear exactly?"

"Your brother could die or survive,"

"Oh, no..." Charlie frowned. He started getting frustrated by this. Isa smiled. "Why are you so happy?"

"Don't you understand?" She stood up as the bell rang, reminding them to start another class. "We have the connection to them all. This probably could help you to get Jimmy back!"

Charlie stared at her, hypnotized. He never saw her so excited, it was mesmerizing.

"Charles!"

"Yeah, I'm listening!" he sucked his lips, holding his smile. "I just didn't know you could raise your voice."

She blushed.

"D-Dean Craig is the boy who lived. He is the person who knew best about this." Isa continued nervously, as Charlie smiled at her softly, and he looked so dashing with that.

"So tomorrow?"

"How about tonight?"

* * *