Part One "When my horrid nightmare's had begun."-Chapter Four

Instability

Part One "When my horrid nightmare's had begun."-Chapter Four

It all started briefly six weeks before my birthday.

Denny, Cooper, and I came home from school to find the TO on my doorstep. Our houses were right next to each other and seemed to be an exact replica of the other from the red bricks to the brown, wooden door to the crisp, grey concrete steps.  At the time my mom never approved of me hanging out with them, but I did anyway.

We parted our ways and then began the biggest trench in my heart that started gaping and cracking open and form a bottomless pit of fear, sadness, and regrets that I've learned to turn away from and steer clear of.

They asked for me to come down to the station and said that they already had approval from my parents. I was an idiot at the time and only seven. So giddy with happiness, I rode down to the station with the officers. Not knowing that the happiness would be crushed and torn from me-piece by piece in the next month and a half.

My father and I were really close and I'd always come down to his laboratory with Cooper and work on experiments. Mom never knew about it because she was always caught up in her office with business calls and the government to tend to at the time since it was getting pretty hectic because of  Christmas time and this anonymous Clearo-Cure designed to create a virus that lets you see things that the government has hidden from people. Us.

As we enter the Police station, I was lead into an Interrogation room so they can question me.

There were two police officers at the time. One long and skinny and the other as round as a donut and balding at the scalp. The tall one stood in the back with cold emotionless eyes with a hard face. The other, right across from me, with no expression but a forced smile. God, how I wish I knew back then that something was up. Something wasn't right. I would take it all back.

The man sitting down gets straight to the point.

"What does your father do for a living?"

After I had gone a minute without talking to him, he realized I couldn't speak, at least not like him. So he waved to the man in the back of the room to gather some material so I can write.

I answer his question as I wrote-

'My father is---different.'

I hand him the paper and watch as his face falls.

He asks, "how different?" As his face hardens once again.

I had taken the paper back once again and continued to write. 'experiments, experiments to theories about the thoughts of the human brain cells.  His job is to try to identify and find the starting map on where the thoughts have come from and calculate his math. Inventing cures to stabilize living health matters in the community. And he also takes good care of me and mommy.' I had summarized.

The man in the back of the room stays silent and still in his place wavering no emotion or movement. The man sitting down cocks his head to the side and furrows his  eyebrows and says, "You sure are a good writer aren't you?" He states, pleased as he reads my neatly printed paragraph on the lined piece of white, brittle paper. He shakes his head and chuckles a humorless laugh, "Smart kid alright. What exactly does he do in these so-called experiments, Lily?"

'It's Lyra,' I correct him with a slight bit of irritation written across my face from my sideways smile as I wrote it.

He just waves for me to go on and as I do, I take the paperback and that's the moment  I wish I would have kept my hands in my lap and asked them to take me home.

"He specializes in experiments on my best friend, Cooper and I and tries to figure out a cure for our disability to speak. Sometimes we see, hear, and touch things we've never seen, heard of, or have thought about from the past and interfere with our train of thought and can make us feel nauseous at times... Also, things daddy says are supposed to be kept secret." I hesitate to give him the paper and he notices.

His tone softens and he looks me in the eyes as he gestures in a soft and sweet tone-

"Sweetheart, we're just trying to keep you safe and keep harm out of the civilians eyes and do what's right for our own."

As he said that I pushed the piece of paper smoothly  across the cold, metal table and he catches it in a heartbeat.

That's how my weekly visits to the Police Station began and I started to open up to them about my father's works.

Thirty-nine days had passed from my weekly visits and the Forty-third day was the day. When my horrid nightmare's had begun.

But what I didn't tell them was the thing daddy told me to keep secret. The day when my powers began to take place.

cooper and I were both put into a hibernation sleep and I was laying on an operating table Inside of an all-white room. On the other side of the room stood two doors. 

One white door and  One Black one.

 I couldn't find Cooper anywhere and as I tried to get up, I went over to the black door. Curiosity roared through my bloodstream and overpowered the fear I felt inside. I swung the door open but nothing lay inside. Just an endless pitch blackness. Then, suddenly, The door slammed shut and the room seemed to turn off like a T.V. and I was all of a sudden pulled back to my dad's laboratory. He shook me awake and made me promise to never tell a soul what I saw in that room. Not even Cooper. That's the only secret I've kept between me and my dad.