Chapter 5 | The Aftermaths

June 13, 2011

The following weeks weren't any easier for Ross. Camilla had packed all her belongings and told her to live on her own in the countryside for a while. Ross often saw her parents arguing, and the tears that followed made her remember the old days, when her mom was struggling over everything just to help Ross make her way into the entertainment industry.

Left with fewer choices, Rossie came to her best friend Katherine Oakton's house last night, to ask for a place to stay for a while. Kath's momㅡGraciaㅡsubtly refused. Instead, Gracia gave her one thousand dollars and told her to stay in some cheap motel.

Katherine Oakton was the only friend Ross had. They had been friends since Kath's family moved next door four years ago. Seeing how rich Ross had became on the top of her career, Kath was now going for American Idol since she had a high tone and perfect pitch.

Things weren't better at work too. High School Love On was released, but the rating was incredibly poor. People asked for a more sexual tension in the kissing scene. Like how they did it outside, they all said.

Her manager was furious, asking for an explanation as to why she disclosed the romance between her and Oliver before the film was released. But Ross didn't say anything. She just lowered her head all the time, unable to say anything in reply or even to just look Oliver in the eyes.

The producer blamed her for the poor rating and said that her contract would be dismissed after this. Ross didn't know much, but she thought this would be the end of her career in the entertainment industry.

"Now, I know that I should choose Delancy Queen over you," Jasper Haywood said.

Ross, who kept her head down all the time, sighed soundlessly. Delancy was her senior, two years older than Ross, but not really friendly to Ross. There were rumours that Delancy Queen had been about to star in High School Love On before the producer chose Ross over her during the audition. Since then, Delancy and her two best friends, Kristen Clo and Harper Evans had declared a cold war against Ross.

Ross suspected she had been the one who'd shared the photograph of that night to the reporters. But Ross couldn't blame her for doing that, because Delancy was supposed to be Oliver's girlfriend.

On one fine day, Ross had found them kissing on the corner of the make-up room with tongues and hands everywhere. And meanwhile, the little Rossie was dumbfounded, and drowned in jealousy as she saw the two of them snogging so passionately.

It happened long ago, before the casting even started. At that time, Ross had seen Delancy as a beautiful senior who of course, would date someone as perfect as Oliver. But now, she knew there was something more than just a perfect match.

Delancy might be gorgeous, but she wasn't that good at acting. She was a mess and everyone knew it. To cover her weakness, Ross wouldn't be surprised anymore if Delancy went from one room and another to sleep with whoever producer had a film she was targeting. As for Oliver, it was her way to keep herself on the surface of the news.

The two othersㅡKristen Clo, and Harper Evansㅡwere more like Delancy's puppets. They always followed her around and whatever Delancy said, they would agree. Like humans without brains, Ross would say.

Ross glided away from the room after Jasper had finished scolding her. She turned away to look at the agency building one last time when a hand held her.

"You need a place to stay," Oliver said. He didn't mean it as a question, and Ross wondered where he found out about that.

"I don't want to stay in your place, Oliver." Ross shoved him away. She still couldn't look at him in the eyes because it made her feel so embarrassed. "Not after what happened."