Chapter 17 | The Safe Zone

October 1, 2017

Since William broke his promise to call her again on their last date, Rossie decided to put him aside and start something new.

The smell of alcohol and loud music at a local bar hit her when she made her way through a throng of sweaty people on the dance floor. This was her first time going to a bar.

She ordered cheap wine and then glanced around. There was a damaged couch behind a partition, and as she drew nearer, she found there was a group of three drunken men, one of them had already collapsed.

Those men reminded her of a group of drug dealers or the mafia who always popped up in a thriller or homicide film. But before she could step back, one of the men had already recognized her.

"What a beautiful, young and blonde woman!" the man yelled.

The other man turned their head to Ross and she found herself scared to death.

"Oh, come in, gorgeous! We're playing a game."

Ross gulped hard and lifted her chin as she walked toward the men. The four of them watched her closely as she sat down in the spare space. This was scarier than a walk in a ghost house in an amusement park.

"So what can you offer us?" the man who sat in front of her asked.

Ross guessed these men must have been in their mid-30s, but from the suits they wore, it seemed they were wealthy, at least.

Ross managed to gulp her fear and pulled out a naughty smile on her face. "You said you were playing a game," she began slowly. "I don't know what game you're playing, but I'm in. I'll sleep with whoever wins the game tonight."

"Oh, come on, that's boring," said the man beside her. "Without a doubt, Josh would beat us all."

When the name Josh mentioned, Ross went pale. She studied their faces, one by one, and none of them looked like Josh.

On top of that, she thought when she came here, she had already gotten over him, but even hearing his name had shaken her like this. She couldn't lie to herself, she still loved him.

"So, which one of you is named Josh?" she asked.

Before any of them could answer her, another man yelled, "Georgia has a knife in her panties!"

Ross turned her head surprised. The man seemed to recognize her right away and was in great shock as she was.

The man was Josh.

"Who is she?" Josh asked the man beside her.

Ross came to disbelief as a second ago, she was certain that Josh recognized her right away. She studied his face well, but it seemed like he wasn't lying. But still, it was hard for her to believe. They were only apart for five months, so how come he had completely forgotten her by now? Did she mean nothing to him?

"Well, she's our new girl," the man beside her answered.

"Oh great, let's continue our game then." Josh sat in front of her and seemed undeterred by her gaze. Ross didn't even care to know what kind of game these men were playing, and after a few minutes, Josh announced his victory, followed by loud groans from the other men.

"I'll take her with me, then," Josh stood up and grinned at his friends. "Good night, buddies."

Ross was still quiet when Josh put one of his hands on her waist and led her through the crowd of dancing people. But once they were outside the bar, he quickly pulled himself away from her.

"Why the hell would you go to a place like this, Rossie? And hand yourself to men like Jason and Howard?"

Ross didn't know what to say.