Chapter 15 | The First Trial

July 3, 2017

Rossie always hated the smell of hospitals. Not only the smell but also the atmosphere. People were looking at her with no light in their eyes, reflecting the small hope of living. Doctors and nurses rushed to the patient's rooms to operate and save their lives.

The hospital, however, was really small and stuffy. But it could be understood, as it was an illegal hospital, which provided operations or treatments that were banned by the governor.

"May I help you?" the receptionist asked.

Rossie hesitated. "Are there any doctors available for..." she paused, unsure of how to continue.

"Abortion?"

Rossie nodded hesitantly.

"This is your queue number." The receptionist handed her a card. "There are already five people before you in the queue."

Ross nodded and sat in the waiting room. She pulled out her phone and saw that there were no new notifications on it. Sighing, she opened the Piano Tiles app and played it but then she realized that her battery was extremely low.

After what felt like an eternity, her name was finally called. Ross was told to go to Dr. Johnson's room, so she did what she was told.

Dr. Johnson was not the type of doctor Rossie thought he would be. Rossie thought doctors would always be white-haired and wear glasses. But doctor Johnson was not. He was young, charming and she guessed he was a playboy.

"So," he broke Rossie's imagination just before it went further. "You want to get rid of your baby."

Rossie nodded hesitantly.

To her surprise, he smiled slyly at her. "But that was an amazing night, I suppose?"

She raised an eyebrow. "I'm sorry?"

"I don't know how you got that baby in your stomach, but I don't think abortion is the right option," Dr. Johnson explained. "If you need someone to blame for that night, it's the jerk who slept with you, not that innocent baby in your tummy."

"So you won't help me?"

"Well, I will. I'm just trying to help you make the right decision," Dr. Johnson said. "How old is it?"

"Seven months."

Dr. Johnson rose to his feet. "Come with me."

"What?"

But Dr. Johnson had already gone out from his office, that left Ross with no choice except to follow him.

She saw him standing in front of a patient's room, and she wasn't sure whether she should follow him there or not. But, a second later, Dr. Johnson turned his head.

"Come here," he said. Ross, though hesitant, followed him.

Rossie wondered why Dr. Johnson was sneaking a glance at a patient who was sleeping.

"You must be wondering now," he said, moving a little bit so then Rossie could take a look. "She's Arabella. This is the third time she had a miscarriage. I couldn't bring myself to tell her that there is a slim chance of her getting pregnant again now."

Ross didn't say anything. She just stared across the dusty window.

"So, have you taken a test about your baby's gender?" Dr. Johnson sounded brighter.

"Yes," she said. "It's a girl."

"A girl," Dr. Johnson repeated, nodding. "She could be as beautiful as you are now. Well, I know it's not my place to decide, but I really want you to know that you can save your daughter's life even if you don't want to see her ever again."