Chapter 8 | Back to The Plans

July 31, 2014

It felt like everything was falling into place.

Rossie had never realized how she longed for coming back to this industry. Although it had a dark side she had seen before, it didn't stop her loving this world. She loved acting, it was a new way for her to run away from all of her pains; ditched by her own parents, miserably betrayed by her first crush. All of it happened because she was trying hard to fit in in this entertainment world, but that couldn't make her stop.

"Excuse me, ma'am, are you ready?" a male crew member asked her in a solemn way when the filming was about to begin. He checked the elastic string that was tied on her body and showed his thumb to the other crew behind.

Ross glanced down, to the river below her, and took a deep breath before she nodded.

She knew her name wouldn't be written on the credits as she had only one scene. The scene was about a country girl named Courtneyㅡplayed by Delancyㅡdeciding to end her life at the famous Brooklyn Bridge because the problems she had in her life were getting bigger and she thought there was no way for it to be fixed.

Delancy, of course, didn't want to play a scene with her life at stake, so she gave this job to Ross. Ross, on the other hand, was having a tough life with a huge amount of debts she couldn't pay with only her two part-time jobs, so she immediately agreed to substitute Delancy on that very scene as it paid twenty times more than both of her part-time jobs salary for a month.

All the lights switched on and Ross took one more brief breath before she jumpedㅡor fellㅡinto the water underneath.

"CUT!"

Ross hung slightly above the river. She could hear her heartbeat and she didn't dare to look down there. She never knew that she was afraid of heights before. But as a professional, she couldn't back out now, not after she had signed the contract.

"Courtney didn't jump into the river! She fell into it!" Mr. Mason, the producer snapped at her soon after she got her feet on the ground again.

Ross had never worked with him before, and as long as she remembered, there was no producer like him. No one ever scolded her because she acted in the wrong way, but maybe that was because she was acting as the main role all this time.

So she nodded and apologized.

The wind blew her hair as she climbed up the bridge barrier, once again closed her eyes and gulped before she let herself fell into the water.

"CUT!"

Ross let herself get pulled up by some crew and once again faced Mr. Mason's nagging.

They tried a couple more times until the freezing air pierced Rossie's body. The clothes she wore were unbelievably thin and made her suffer even more.

"Everyone stand by!" Mr. Mason commanded. And then he drew nearer to where Ross was standing and whispered with his intimidating aura, "This better be the last time, or you will regret this."

Everything replayed, but this time Mr. Mason didn't stop her. She fell deep into the water and for a second, she thought maybe she shouldn't go back up. She wanted to escape from this world so badly that she didn't even try to help herself.

Everyone disliked her, no one stood for her. What was the point of living if she was unwanted in this world?

After what felt like forever, she could feel her arms pulled up by solid hands but when she tried to open her eyes, they were way too heavy.

It all felt like a dream when she felt something soft touched her lips and she heard a voice keep saying, "Ms. Miller, Ms. Miller!"

***