kiss me thru the phone.

LIZA

three years, today. december 4th, 2020.

three years, since i had last seen david.

we were sitting together on the couch cuddling, watching god knows what movie, when david got the call. it was from his lawyer, and i had assumed that it would have to do with the daca situation. david answered the phone on speaker, as always, and before he could even say hello, the lawyer informed him. "i'm so sorry. you have a month left." that was all i heard before a huge sob bubbled up, and i began bawling my eyes out. for that month we had left, david and i never left each other's sides, reminding each other how much one partner loved the other almost every second of every day. i had offered to marry him multiple times, but david knew i wasn't comfortable with it, he took the deportation instead. we facetime everyday, and i wanted to fly down to visit, but david wouldn't let me, as he knew it would mess with my work schedule. i just fucking miss him. my phone began to buzz at my side. i had moved into david's house after he left and sold mine, i knew he would come back eventually. the contact bubba faded onto my phone screen, and i smiled as i answered the facetime call.

"hi baby." i said, grinning. his smile on the other end of the line was humongous, and looking closely, he seemed to be tearing up.

"liza. liza oh my god. liza.. i'm coming home."

"DAVID!!" i yelled out, tears beginning to blur my vision. "when? i'm so fucking excited."

"my flight leaves tomorrow at 8:30am your time. that's the closest one i could get. pick me up from the airport?" he asked me.

"of course baby! i cant wait to see you, hug you, cuddle.." i trailed off.

"fuck you." david finished, a goofy grin on his face.

"babeee," i jokingly rolled my eyes. he laughed his trademark little giggle. we talked about our plans when for when he gets back, and after about an hour of facetiming, he informed me he needed to pack. we hung up, somewhat excitedly, knowing the next time we'd see each other's faces it wouldn't be through a screen.

five years. we've been dating for just over five years, three of which were long distance, and we're still stronger than ever. god i fucking love that man. i thought to myself, tidying his house. he knew i'd moved in, of course, and had let me know he was ecstatic that we'd finally be living together.

at 8:00pm la time the next day, i took david's tesla to pick him up from the airport. there were still signs of him from before he'd left; the sticker of my face in the glovebox, his vape sitting in the middle console. i shook my head, smiling at the memory of us together, celebrating our second anniversary while david was trying (and failing) to blow o's in my face. my hands were shaking with excitement and anxiety, so i put the car in self-drive mode and began to play sandbox on her phone. before i knew it, i'd arrived at the airport, and david's flight was due to land any minute. i hopped out of the car, phone in hand and my mind going haywire, as i more or less skipped into the airport to wait for him to walk out. every time someone turned the corner, i got excited, only to be disappointed when it wasn't david. a crowd of people remained around me, and when i saw another brown haired male turn the corner, suitcase in hand and hat on head, i knew it was david. he stretched his neck up, looking into the crowd, when we made eye contact. i broke out into a sprint, running through the crowd to david.

"liza?" he asked me exasperatedly, "oh my god, baby."

"david!" i called out, closing what little distance was left in between us. i launched myself into his arms, him squeezing me tightly. tears were streaming down my face, i already knew. and i could guess what people around us were looking at us like, but i didn't care — i couldn't. after awhile, david set me down, pressing a long, passionate kiss to my lips. our lips moved against each other flawlessly, fitting together like puzzle pieces. we pulled apart, hugging each other tightly once again, turning in circles to keep our balance. "baby don't ever do that again."

"trust me pookie, i don't plan on it." he replied, giggling and kissing my forehead multiple times.

***

the night went on filled with cuddles, kisses, movies, and using postmates to get chipotle delivered to our house, as did the next few months. our bond was stronger than ever, and we barely spent seconds apart. within six months, david took me to a really nice dinner, and the entire time we were there he seemed super nervous and on edge, but he brushed me off when i first asked about it so i decided to leave it alone. before i knew it he had me blindfolded and sitting in the passenger seat of his tesla, clueless as to where we were headed. i felt hands leading me up a few flights of stairs, and familiar voices — i couldn't put my finger on who's they were, though. i heard steps fading away, and rustling in front of me. "you can take off the blindfold now, baby." i removed the blindfold, and looked down at david. we were on top of kian and jc's roof, and david had dropped down onto one knee in front of me.

"bubba..." i trailed off, tears begun to blur my vision, i knew exactly where this was going. he interrupted me, a small smile playing at his lips. he began to stress to me how much he loved me, needed me, and couldn't live without me, but it all just went in one ear and out the other, the only word broadcasting through my head was yes. when he pulled out the ring, i cracked, the tears began falling, and i was beaming hugely.

"elizabeth shaila koshy, pookie, will you marry me?" i nodded, not being able to form proper words, and flung myself into his arms.