Chapter 42

Colby

"I would never expect this from you, Dodge," I declare. Wyatt smirks from the driver's seat, his eyes still on the road before us.

"It's catchy, okay?" He looks my way briefly to catch my reaction. His music has been on shuffle the entire drive back to Tyler, a deal we made after I DJ'd through my iPhone playlists on the ride to Dallas.

"Party in the U.S.A.?" I tease, and he takes my hand in his, squeezing it.

"It should impress you that I'm man enough to admit that I love it." He winks, bringing my hand to his lips.

I wish I could relive this weekend on an endless loop for the next month. Rolling back into town brings me back to the reality that is life in Tyler, but life here is changing as well.

"Should we take the newlyweds for a late dinner?" I ask as we pass a local mom and pop diner with burgers to die for.

The shock that my best friend is not only any longer single, but married and pregnant has most definitely not worn away. They've been married for a grand total of three days, and I can say with certainty that I've never seen Wynn or Cole so happy.

Wyatt places our hands on my knee, switching lanes to pull a U-turn back to the diner. "Make the call," he replies.

I grab my phone from the cup holders on the center console, pulling up Wynn's number.

The way everything has transpired has been one for the books, but I couldn't be more excited for all of our futures. Initially, I thought they were out of their minds getting married at eighteen, but now that it's happened it feels more right than any alternative I can think of.

As I'm retrieving Wynn's number, a call from Maryanne chimes through.

"Did your phone ever ring?" I ask Wyatt. "Your mom is calling me."

The corners of his mouth drop as he shakes his head in response. Curiosity colors his features, reflecting my own thoughts. "I always knew she liked you better," he jokes as I answer the call.

"Hi, Maryanne!" I say cheerfully, but the other end is silent. "Hello?" I try again, checking the screen of my phone to see if our call has dropped.

"Oh, hi sweetie," Maryanne replies, sniffling before continuing. "Are you and Wyatt back in town yet?" Her voice is soft as always, but there's a note to it that disturbs me.

Something's wrong.

Wyatt pulls into a spot at the diner, leaving the engine on. He watches me carefully, undoubtedly wondering what could've prompted her to reach out to me.

"We've just pulled into town and are about to grab a bit to eat," I tell her, dreading the answer to the question I'm about to ask. "Is everything alright?"