Chapter 45

Above, the cover of my new work in progress, Make You Mine! Follow Wynn and Cole through the chaos that brought them together, leading them to their forever :)

Wyatt

The year has blown by just as quickly as it came. In truth, the good outweighed the bad, although the bad we had was officially devastating. We made it through though, and I find myself on the other side of adversity, having gained the world.

Colby and I found our ways back to one another. It wasn't easy, our paths paved with misunderstandings and hurt. But she's the piece of me that I'd been missing. I had become one helluva bitter bastard somewhere along the way, yet she found the grace within herself to take me back.

B laid claim to my heart, even before I realized it was mine to give. She's better than I deserve and more than I could've deigned to ask for in a woman. Lifelong friends turned lovers. I'll never be worthy, but I'll never cease striving to be.

"Wyatt, come grab the other end of this, would ya?" Ari shouts, gesturing toward his mammoth cooler that's undoubtedly filled to the brim with adult beverages.

"Not man enough to carry the whole thing yourself?" I ask, making my way over to a now scowling Ari, with Colby on my heels.

"Just 'cause my new coach didn't ask me to go all Hulk mode like yours doesn't make me any less manly," Ari scoffs. I grunt when I lift the cooler, bringing a satisfied smirk to Ari's face. "See, it's heavy even for He-man," he adds, nudging Colby in the ribs with his elbow.

"I dunno, Ari," Colby begins earnestly. "I think you sound a little jealous."

That's my girl.

Did I mention how much I love her?

"Whatevs," Ari grunts, hefting the other end of the cooler alongside me. "I'm just streamlined, and already formed to perfection."

"Right," Colby giggles, bringing a smile to my face.

She's thriving.

In the wake of her abundant loss this past year, she's turned all of the tragedy to triumph. Colby finished strong, graduating in the top five percent of our class, and earning an academic scholarship to A&M, enabling us to continue in school together.

I couldn't be more proud. Instead of crumbling under the pressure of her sorrows, she's met them head-on, succeeding beyond all expectation. Her quiet strength and perseverance carried her through the storm.

Tanzie would be so pleased.

We arrive at Cole and Wynn's, dropping the liquid filled brick of a cooler to the ground by their community pool. All around, our friends are gathered, preparing for our Fourth of July celebration. The summer is zipping by, so our crew is hanging together as much as we're able. I don't think any of us are quite ready to be saying our goodbyes.