XXXIII

XXXIII.

Time waits for no one. And time sped along; the summer was a hot one, and a good one. The days were long and tedious, spent settling petty disputes, drafting the new peace treaty between Cunserbia and L'Illia. Watching Andalynd's movements.

The nights were long, as well.

Thierry kept me busy.

Gods, I loved him so much. I loved him so much it hurt betimes. I would gaze at him, and wonder what exactly I was doing. He had my heart in the palm of his hand. I would do anything for him. That knowledge scared me. I loved him even more than I had loved Lysander, which I hadn't thought possible. I wanted to give my life to him, and him alone.

I wanted to marry him.

Kennigan's warning rang in the back of my mind, and I knew that we would have to. Because King Adrien would not remain passive for long.

Looking back, that first summer in Trelain was the best stretch of months I have ever experienced. As close as one can get to heaven, without death. Thierry was my heaven on earth.

To my delight, my mother and Gabriel tarried awhile in the Trelaine, and we spent a great deal of time together.

My mother adored Thierry.

After meeting him at the Revolution Ball, she'd been skeptical. But after a visit to the Artistry District to see a play written by our mutual friend and poet, Didier le Drogue, her mind quickly changed.

"I rather like him," She murmured to me, while we stood back, watching Thierry consort with the actors and actresses during the after fete.

"I rather like him, too." I smiled lightly. My eyes left Thierry and landed on Lysander, who was standing close to Gabriel as they spoke with some of Lysander's friends from Academy.

"Gabriel is happy." My mother's voice was gentle, but it did not soften the blow. "Let him at least have this, Azura."

I nodded, swallowing a lump in my throat. Despite my reservations, Gabriel and I had been making progress during their sojourn in the city. Our relationship was steadily returning to normal; but Lysander's presence did little to tamper down the ill affects of my hurt and jealousy.

Yes, I was jealous. Although I couldn't decide quite why. I had Thierry, whom I loved. I was Nova of L'Illia, a power held for the first time in history by a woman in her own right. Yet there was a freedom Gabriel had, that I would never know.

The right to be for himself, and never sacrifice for his country. Although it was better to rule, than to serve, the pressure of it grew troubling betimes. At moments all I wished for was to sail away with Thierry, to some distant uncharted land. Betimes I wanted to disappear from public scrutiny.

I told Thierry this one day, during a royal hunt. Everyone of merit within the kingdom had saddled up for the excursion. With the hounds barking like mad on the leash, I felt my blood rise with excitement. I loved to hunt, despite the circumstances of my father's death. With Fire saddled beneath me, I felt secure and safe.

"Running away?" Thierry arched an indolent eyebrow. "I like the way you think, O Midnight Star."

"Running away," Xavier sidled up to us on his massive black stallion. "That sounds like fun. Where to?"

"Andalynd." I said joked, flashing Xavier a smile. His blue eyes darkened.

"Her Highness should write a comedy," Xavier said wryly, running a hand through his Botticelli blonde curls.

"Any word yet on their movements?" Thierry asked, regarding me.

"None." I said with much relief. "They've been quiet as the grave."