XI

XI.

"Did you have a nice outing with The Baroness of Dragonnal?" Juliette asked as I bathed the next afternoon, her frank blue eyes full of interest edged with a bit of malice.

I raised my head from the task of massaging a new bar of soap, scented to mimic the perfume Gabriel had commissioned for me. A messenger had delivered it this morning, with a letter from my mother, Gabriel, and Lysander. I had yet to read the letters, but I was currently enjoying the soap. Apples, honey, dragonfruit, and the mysterious scent Gabriel refused to name.

"Yes." I said promptly, meeting her gaze without emotion. "I met Noel Lafuille."

Juliette rolled her eyes. "I know." Envy coated her tone. "I would give my left arm and a portion of my firstborne to have a dress commissioned by Noel Lafuille."

"Then why not have one made?" I asked, as I began to lather my long black hair. "Can you not afford it?" It was a snub. I was very, very rich. My father had made sure of that. I knew Juliette's family, along with the rest of my ladies-in-waiting were minor nobility, of average stature. Bourgeoisie.

Juliette's spine stiffened momentarily, and then she sighed. "If I had all the money in the world, I might not have one made. Noel only dresses the elite."

"I figured as much. Ursula is his number one customer." I massaged the soap into my silky hair absent-mindedly. "My dress for the ball is being delivered tonight."

"What ball?" Juliette asked, her voice sharp. "There is no ball tonight."

"Oh," I said, a smirk forming at the edge of my lips. "The journals did not report this?"

Juliette's eyes narrowed. "You must be mistaken. There is no ball that we would not be invited to." She meant Leila, Noelle and herself.

"Well then, I must be mistaken." I ducked under the water to rinse my hair, rising slowly. Juliette's eyes blazed with insecurity and jealousy. I could tell she would very much like to drown me right now, but wouldn't dare.

Juliette didn't say a word, although her face had reddened to match her hair in anger. With lips pressed shut, she rose to her feet abruptly, whirling on her heel to leave.

"Where are you going?" I asked indolently. "I have not dismissed you."

I watched as she clenched her fists tightly, her back to me. "I apologize, Azura."

"Your Grace." I corrected.

"Your Grace." She hissed.

"Go." I said, rinsing away more bubbles. "I find myself tired of your presence. Summon Leila and Noelle."

"As you wish." The words were spat.

I grinned as she slammed the door to my bathing room behind her. Ursula had been correct in advising me in the only way to win Juliette's respect, was to force her subservience. She had embarrassed and humiliated me. Ursula had plainly put that she was beneath me, and she would never recognize her place unless I showed it to her.

I hadn't liked the idea, but I couldn't disagree with the necessity. How could she serve me, if she was constantly acting as if she were better than me?

The girl had to learn her place, and this was the only way she could possibly recognize me as her superior.

"What did you say to her Azura?" Noelle was laughing openly, her eyes bright. "Juliette is cursing your name from Alaysia to Opica."

"I showed her who was master." I said, standing in my tub.

"Gods, it's about time." Leila commented, wrapping me in a towel. This time it was the lightest of yellows. "She cannot believe you've gotten your whole wardrobe commissioned by Noel Lafuille, or that the most fashionable woman in Trelaine has taken you under her wing."

"Or that she is throwing a ball in your honor tonight, and she is not invited." Noelle made a face. "She thinks that just because her father is chief advisor to the Novo that she has all the power in the world."

"Her father advises my uncle?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"How else do you think she got this job?" Noelle asked. "Her father isn't even really noble by blood. His title was bought. He and the Novo have been friends since Academy. Romeo Campignon was nothing but the son of a common merchant before his friendship with the Prince. Now he's a Count, spying for His Royal Highness, and advising him on political strategy."

"Interesting." I sighed, walking into my boudoir. I flopped onto my bed, wet and naked, yet deliciously clean.

"My lady, I must advise you to be careful with her." Leila told me. "We have known her since childhood, and she is a clever one, Juliette. A viper. She does not take kindly to being bested, and will find some way to pay you back for this morning."

"And then I will dismiss her for her troubles if it ever comes to that." I said. "This is Trelaine, everyone keeps telling me. I cannot afford to be compassionate in a city that chews up and spews out the weak." I said, approximating Ursula's words from yesterday. "One day I will be Novo. One day I might be Queen."

"Yes, Your Grace. And we love you. We stand behind you. But do not forget what I've spoken." Leila curtseyed.

Noelle watched the exchange silently, nodding in agreement before curtseying with her head bowed.

"Thank you." I sat up, clutching my towel around me. "You may go."

They both curtseyed again, before taking there leave.

I reached for the letters, seals still intact by my bedside. I tore into them voraciously, choosing to read Gabriel's first.

He wrote of the coming spring, and how he had caught a tiny cold. He warned me against returning to Alaysia, but promised to summon me if it got any worst. He wrote of missing me, missing my laughter and my comfort. He asked about Verglacé, he asked how my time in Trelaine had been so far. He told me of the Lysander's father's conditioning worsening, and his impending death. He wasn't expected to live to see his fifty-eighth birthday which was in winter.

He wrote with news of Lord Grandfather's illness progressing, and his son, our uncle, The Count d'Opica, our father's youngest brother Hector had died in his sleep two days past. His wife had quietly sent word, and a funeral would be held in the city later this week.

It seemed as though death was everywhere, and it saddened my heart to hear it. Apparently our oldest cousin, whom I had met once at my father's funeral, Thierry was now the Count d'Opica, third in line to the throne. He was two years older than my eighteen, and was known for his debauchery and incomparable looks. He had a younger brother, who was a year younger than him, a year older than Gabriel and I. His name was Damien, and he was also making a name for himself in the city of Trelaine, but for opposite reasons. Damien was rising in the ranks of the L'Illian military, and was now Captain of the Trelainian guard. He was hardly handsome as Thierry, apparently, but equally as competent and a fierce warrior.

Gabriel warned me that if Lord Grandfather died, there would be great opposition against me becoming the Nova when the city loved Thierry so much. He was clearly preferred to be Novo against me, and there were already being movements made against the throne.

"Be careful, Zura," he'd written. "Father has prepared you well, but for this I think we will need to use all of our wits and allies to prevent a coup in power."

I swallowed against that warning, my heart feeling very heavy. Politics, intrigue, and scandal. Death. I'd only been in Trelaine for three days, and already things were swiftly changing, my standing in danger.

I quickly dressed in my former favorite gown of cream with tiny roses embroidered on the bodice. I quickly summoned for the carriage to be made ready, taking Samson along with me I headed for the palace. I was required to arrive at Ursula's at five hours past noon. It was now four hours past noon. I would be early, but I needed her right now. We had much to discuss.