Prologue

The night air was crisp and cold, the sky was clear and the moon was out, stars dotted the sky. On the hill sat a lone dragon, he was huge, but weak with old age, he sat with his head on his paws, his time was coming to an end but he had something to do. Next to him a female landed with a thump, her red scales dull in the moonlight. 

The small breeze almost diminished his words."Pompeii, a war will come between humans, if they are not careful they will destroy our race, in exactly a century, on the day of deep grief a inexperienced shifter will stumble into your cave only he will stop the war, you must train him, he will have the name of Irang" the dragon with the name of Pompeii nodded her head. The prophecy was very important to her.

The chilly breeze washed over the hill once again, "it is my time Pompeii, good luck". Pompeii stifled the grief in her chest, trying to stay strong.

"Good night father" she whispered, the big dragon closed his eyes, his chest stopped heaving and he let out a sigh as his world vanished, his beautiful daughter the last thing he saw.

Pompeii let her head fall on his flank, he was already growing cold. The night's silence was pierced with shouts and yells, the hunters were drawing near. She let out a growl before opening her wings and beating them once, she took to the air before the ruthless humans could touch her. Pompeii silently said a sorry to her father for leaving him to the hunters, who would use his scales for money.

She swallowed a growl, flying high she spotted a cave in the mountain, she flew into it, down below she saw spikes, and after that lush forest. She turned around and walked farther in, finding a tunnel to a small area, she curled into a ball. Sleep washed over her, and so did the many years of waiting for the boy named Irang. She just hoped it was worth it.