4

Demi

We managed to keep the secret of Emily under wraps for a while. My publicist, Shealyn, had prohibited anyone from asking me about her. I did a day full of press, ending with a buzzfeed video where I played with puppies. Once I wrapped the interview, Emily shyly came out and sat on the side, smiling and giggling when the puppies ran towards her. I watched with a soft smile and Kelsey knelt down, handing me a bottle of water.

"Finally warming up, ice queen?"

I sighed and sipped from the bottle. "I'll admit, she's cute. So are the puppies, but you don't see me asking for one."

"You could though." Kelsey gasped and looked at me. "You could get her a puppy!"

"Kelsey!" I stared at her and shook my head. "That's crazy."

"It could help... Look at her."

I looked back over at Emily and sighed when I saw her looking carefree for the first time since I met her as the puppies jumped on her. One of them in particular, a little german shepherd, with floppy ears. The dog was laying on Emily's lap as she scratched his stomach, but her eyes were lit up, smiling widely down at it and cooing softly.

"Fine." I sighed. "Go see if we can adopt the one that's on her lap."

Kelsey grinned at me and walked up to one of the people who had brought the puppies. She gave me a thumbs up, and I walked over to Emily, sitting down next to her.

"Do you like that one?" Emily nodded shyly, looking up at me quickly before her eyes went down to the puppy again. I reached over and pet it's head, then put my hand on Emily's back. "Do you want to take him home?"

Emily's eyebrows shot up to her hairline and her eyes got as big as saucers. "What?"

"Do you want to take him home? Do you want to keep him?"

"Really?" She whispered, staring at me in shock. "Really, really?"

"Really." I smiled. "Do you want a puppy?"

Emily nodded her head an awestruck smile spreading across her cheeks, as she softly stroked the dogs ear. "Puppy." She murmured, almost to herself.

I looked at Kelsey and smiled. "We'll stop at Petco to get all the stuff we need. Make a list." Then I leaned down to Emily. "What do you want to name him?"

She bit her lip, then shrugged, looking up at me. "I don't know."

I looked down at the brown dog, and tilted my head. "How about... Sam?"

"Sam." She repeated, and softly stroked the dog's head again before looking up at me with a smile. "Sam."

"Sam it is. Come on... Let's go, bring Sam."

I helped her stand up, and the puppy settled comfortably in her arms.

"Demi? We just need to have you sign some papers?"

"Of course." I walked over and signed where Katie, the puppy-handler, pointed me. "Normally we'd do a home visit to make sure the dog is going to a good home, but..." She smiled at Emily. "I trust you."

"Thank you." I finished signing and put down the pen. "Ready Emily?"

She nodded and we walked out of the building to the black escalade that was running. Max, my longtime security guard was waiting, along with Scott, the intern-of-sorts who was going to take Max's place when he got in the swing of things. I would miss Max, but he wanted to spend more time with his family.

"Hey boss." He greeted me, and smiled at Emily. Kids were always his weakness in bringing down his tough interior. "Look at that! Another thing to protect!"