8

Demi

I sat on the couch waiting for him. I stayed wrapped in a blanket, my eyes and nose red from crying. I had thrown my hissy fit, but still Mike and Kelsey walked out with Emily, leaving me alone to face Wilmer. When he knocked I still didn't move, so after another long minute of waiting he opened the door and walked him. I watched him search for me, then let out a shuttering breath when his eyes finally met mine.

"Hey."

"That's all you have to say to me?" I whispered. "That's the best you've got?"

"I just came to get some more of my stuff, Demi. I didn't come to fight with you."

"More of your stuff?" I squared my jaw and pulled the blanket tighter around my shoulders. "So you're really doing this? You're not coming back?"

He looked away and down. "I don't know, Demi. It's just a lot to think about. I didn't realize-"

"You signed up for this, Wilmer. You signed me up for this."

"I know."

"You promised you wouldn't ever leave again."

"I know."

I closed my eyes and leaned forward until my forehead rested on my knees. I sobbed once, then again and my body began to shake as I submitted to hysterics.

"Don't do that." He said, and I heard his footsteps coming closer and knelt on the floor in front of me. "Don't cry, please."

I lifted my head to look at him, not bothering to wipe my face as tears dripped freely down my cheeks. "How am I supposed to not cry?" I put my hands on either side of his face. "How do you expect me to be okay?" I shook my head and leaned down, pressing my lips against his in a desperate, pleading kiss.

"Demi-"

"Kiss me." I interrupted him and brought his face to mine again before he could protest. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer, the blanket falling away as I sat up straight and his hands slid around to my back.

"Shouldn't we-"

"No." I didn't care what he was going to say. I had one last chance to make him stay, one last card up my sleeve. I pulled his mouth back to mine and thankfully he gave in, picking me up under my thighs and walking quickly to the bedroom. Our clothes were off in seconds and we fell onto the bed, our lips in constant contact with each other's skin. We moved together underneath the sheets and I let everything fall away and submitted to living the moment with him. When it was over Wilmer collapsed down onto me, both of us so spent we just laid there breathing hard.

After a few torturously long minutes, he pressed a lingering kiss on my collarbone.

"If you're about to say goodbye, don't." I spoke before he could. "Just lay here with me."

So we laid there. Wilmer's weight rested on me like a blanket, and it lulled me into the false sense of security that I could somehow convince him to stay. I leaned down to kiss him again, pulling his jaw so his mouth could meet mine. I kissed him with a desperate longing, but also slow enough so I could remember what this felt like just in case I couldn't manage to convince him. Wilmer caught on though, and pulled away from my greedy lips.

"I have to go... We shouldn't have done that."

"No." I wrapped one arm around his neck and hitched one leg over his thigh, effectively stopping him. "Please Wilmer, I can't do this without you."

"I'm sorry." He kissed my forehead then pushed himself up. "I love you."

"No you don't." I turned away from him and curled up into a ball- on his side of the bed. "You don't do this to someone you love... I could never do this to you."