6

Demi

Later that night, when I was tucking Emily into bed, I decided to ask her about what she wanted. As a kid, I was passed along to different houses and always felt like I didn't have control over my life. I wanted to give her the choice of staying with Wilmer and I, rather than just assume it was what she wanted.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked her, once I pulled the blanket up to her chin. Emily nodded, not saying anything. "I know you know this is supposed to be only for a little while... you staying with Wilmer and I. Do you want to stay with us for longer?"

She looked down at her hands. Kelsey had painted her nails pink today and already one nail had started to chip. "How long?"

I smiled and smoothed her hair back. "Forever?"

Emily looked up quickly, her eyes widening. "Really?"

"Really." I smiled softly. "You don't ever have to go back, you can stay with us as long as you want to."

"Really really?"

"Really!" I confirmed with a laugh, and Emily launched herself into my arms. We hugged each other tightly before she jumped back onto the pillows.

"Can Wilmer stay too?"

I laughed loudly and nodded. "Of course Wilmer can stay."

"Hey! Are you two talking about me?" Wilmer appeared in the doorway and walked into the room.

"You get to stay!" This was the most emotion I had ever seen Emily express. She jumped to her feet and took a running start across the bed to jump into Wilmer's arms. He caught her easily and hoisted her onto his shoulders. "I get to stay too!"

Wilmer smiled so wide I thought his face would crack. "That's right! You can stay as long as you want sweetie."

He placed her down on the bed and she looked at me sharply. "So I don't have to go back to daddy?"

"No." I said softly, and ran my hand over her hair. "No, Emily. He's never gonna hurt you again."

"I don't to ever see him again." She said, looking up at me with the same big brown eyes that I had.

"You don't have to." Wilmer spoke this time. "You don't ever have to."

I smiled softly, remembering when I was her age and had that exact same resolve. I never wanted to see my father again, and I was successful. Now though, I knew the trial surrounding Emily's abuse would eventually be coming up and I would do everything I could to oblige her request.

"Alright, I think it's time to go to bed." I raised my eyebrows at them. "Both of you."

"She's right." Wilmer raised his eyebrows at her. "But... not before ice cream!"

I shook my head as Emily squealed and he picked her up again, letting her climb up to his shoulders before he walked out of the room with a wink at me. I followed them to the kitchen, not commenting when he let her sit on the counter instead of in a chair, or when he scooped her much more ice cream than she needed right before bed.

I watched them eat together, Emily laughing at all of his stupid jokes, even the ones she didn't understand, and I couldn't help but feel the whole in my chest that came from the possibility of not having children with Wilmer begin to close a little bit. I smiled to myself and remembered Wilmer's words, about how Emily could help me just as much as I helped her, and knew it was true. He was usually right about those sort of things.

Emily threw her head back and laughed so loud it echoed across the kitchen. Wilmer's face flitted to a shocked expression- she sounded exactly like I did as a kid. She had the same face-eating grin, same split bangs, and the same maniacal giggle as me. It was almost a carbon copy, except for the chin.