12

Demi

I opened the door and Emily walked inside. Wilmer sat on the edge of the bed, now clothed, and looked up when he heard us. I saw his anxiety and my heart ached for him, and me, and us. I closed my eyes when Emily stopped walking, staring at him for a few seconds.

"Wilmer!" My mouth fell open when she ran towards him, jumping up onto the bed and into his arms. "You're back!"

He hugged her back and looked at me, a relieved smile spreading over his face and I swear I thought I saw him tearing up. "I'm back, sorry I had to leave for a little bit."

"It's okay." She leaned back and smiled at him. "Demi said you had a time-out."

"I did." He nodded. "But now I'm back and I'm here to stay."

"Good." She hugged him again, snuggling into his chest.

I walked over and sat next to them, taking his free hand and leaned my head on his shoulder. I could've cried of happiness in that moment, knowing that I could be free to repair my relationship with Wilmer without any guilt from Emily's feelings towards him. Wilmer turned his head to me and I didn't let him speak, instead I leaned up and kissed him. It felt different now, without all of the fear and anxiety of the unknown. Now I could kiss him with the confidence that we were going to spend the rest of our lives together back in tact.

"I love you." I whispered, once we had pulled away.

"I love you too." He kissed my temple, then Emily's forehead. "It's good to be home again."

~*~

Wilmer's re-entrance into Emily's life was practically seamless. We stayed for a few more days in New York, holed up in our hotel room watching movies and playing various games. I wanted Emily to be able to go outside and see New York City, but I didn't want to have to deal with the paparazzi hounding us with questions about her. Eventually, Wilmer coaxed me into going for a walk in central park, so I eventually agreed.

On the way out of the hotel, Wilmer held Emily against his chest with one arm, while the other wrapped around my waist. The paparazzi yelled questions about Emily's origins and the status of Wilmer and I's relationship.

"IS THIS YOUR DAUGHTER?"

"DEMI IS THIS ANOTHER MAN'S BABY?"

"WILMER WHY ARE YOU WITH SUCH A SLUT?"

I grabbed for Wilmer's arm but he already let go of me and shoved the guy back.

"Shut the fuck up!"

Max pulled Wilmer away from him and ushered us both to the car. I instantly pulled Emily out of his arms.

"What is wrong with you?"

"Did you hear what they were saying?"

"I did, but you were carrying Emily! What if he decided to hit you back?"

He sighed and looked down. "I didn't think about that."

"Of course you didn't."

We fell silent and Emily looked out the window. I felt Wilmer take my hand and glanced over to see him looking at me with apologetic eyes. I sighed and he smiled tentatively, then leaned over to kiss my cheek, pressing quick kisses to my face until I pulled away and smiled. He shifted to the middle seat and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I leaned my head against him and took a deep breath, deciding to let it go. I knew he was only defending my honor but I was already so anxious about the paparazzi around Emily and I didn't want anyone in the adoption process to see Wilmer as a violent man.