Starting Over

Taylor:

Okay, my parents are going to be here in a few minutes. This'll be the first time I've seen them in years. And I gave a guy my phone number. That's a lot of progress. Like, unrealistic progress, almost fictional progress. Hooray for progress, you go progress. Apparently I haven't lost my sarcasm.

The doorbell rings, and so it begins.

"Here we go, Meredith."

Walking over to the door feels a bit nerve-racking, I haven't seen my parents in ages, and now they're coming to my apartment. Here goes, I guess.

"Taylor! Oh my god!" Mom says with great emotion, before pulling me in for a giant hug.

"Hi Mom, hi Dad," I say to the two of them as they walk inside.

"Oh my, Taylor, this apartment is absolutely beautiful!" Mom shouts.

"I have to agree," Dad adds. Great, they're already commenting on my furniture, in a positive way, at least.

The two of them sit down on the couch in the living room, while I get them both some coffee. I'm just realizing now that for someone who lives alone with their cat, my apartment is humongous. I don't even know how I afford this place, it's not like I have a job to pay the rent. Come to think of it, how do I afford this place. Focus Taylor.

"How've you been?" Mom breaks the silence.

There's a few seconds delay while I carefully think about my answer. Just this answer could make or break my parents entire visit, it requires a lot of thought. But I'm gonna answer truthfully.

I set my cup of coffee down on the counter.

"I've been...okay."

***

"And here's you guys' room," I say as I lead my parents into their room.

"It's a lovely room, thank you for such an amazing first day of our visit, I love you so much, goodnight Taylor," Mom says her usual goodnight speech.

"Night Mom."

I walk into my room with Meredith in my arms, and turn on my nightlight. For the first time in months, I turn on the TV too, not even knowing what's on.

I open up my journal, hoping I have something to write. And of course of do.

So I had an amazing day. That hasn't happened in forever. Mom and Dad are here for the week, we didn't do anything, but not doing anything just made my day.

Wow, my mind is coming up with some cheesy shit.

A/N: WOW WHOA HEY AYYE

I don't know what to write holla.

Holla at Jay by the way.

So yeah-

instagram: inkswift

twitter: halcyonswifts

tumblr: wrecksof86