Chapter 22 Christmas with Disappointment

Things took a turn for a worse. Hagrid got an order from the ministry about the injury that Malfoy got from Buckbeak. The complaint was from Malfoy's father.

Christmas morning was better. The Great Hall has twelve Christmas trees as usual. The smell of the dinners was driving everyone crazy.

Christmas morning, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I all gathered in the common room for opening presents.

"Another sweater from Mum...maroon again...see if you've got one." Ron always complains about the maroon sweaters. I think that it's sweet.

Harry got a scarlet sweater with the Gryffindor lion knitted on the front, a dozen mince pies, Christmas cake, a nut brittle. Lucky. I want some of his food. Mrs. Weasley's cooking is some of the best cooking ever. Her and Sally need to get together to make one fantastic meal.

Ron, besides the maroon sweater, got maroon socks, and some of his mothers treats as well.

Hermione, she got some treats from her family as well as some new books.

Me? I got some sweaters from my mom, by mom, I mean Renee. I got some books from Bella, including Wuthering Heights, her favorite book. From Phil, Renee's husband, gave me some chocolate. I looked at one package that I didn't recognize, and saw that it was from Cedric. He gave me a large package of Liquorice Wands and Chocoballs. More Chocoballs than anything else. Due to the fact that I like those more.

I picked up the note that was attached to it.

I hope this will last you awhile.

-C.D.

"What's that?" Ron pointed to one last present under the tree.

It was a long thing package, and it was for Harry. When he opened it, a broomstick rolled out.

"I don't believe it." Ron jumped over and looked at it.

There was no card, nothing. Nothing said who the package was from. Harry and Ron were both super excited about it, I didn't know what to think. They were too excited about the Firebolt to notice the look on Hermione's face.

"What is it?" Ron asked him.

"Who'd send something as expensive as that, and not even tell him they'd sent it?" She asked.

"Who cares? Harry, can I have a go on it?" Ron asks him impatiently.

"I don't think anyone should ride that broom yet!" Hermione yelled at them.

We were interrupted by Hermione's cat trying to attack Ron's rat.

After the feast, Professor McGonagall came to look at the broom.

"And there was no note at all, Potter? No card? No message of any kind?" She asked.

"No."

"Well, I'm afraid I will have to take this, Potter."

"What? Why?" Harry

"It will need to be checked for jinxes. Of course, I am no expert, but I daresay Madam Hooch and Professor Flitwick will strip it down-"

"Strip it down?" Ron seemed to believe that she was insane.

"It shouldn't take more than a few weeks. You will have it back if we are sure it is jinx-free."
"There is nothing wrong with it!" Harry argued with her.

"You can't know that, Potter. Not until you've flown it, at any rate, and I'm afraid that is out of the question until we are certain that it has not been tampered with. I shall keep you informed." With that, McGonagall walked away with the Firebolt and Harry was very upset.

"What did you go running to McGonagall for?" Ron yelled at Hermione. Why is he doing this?

"Because Professor McGonagall and I agreed that the broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Black!"

Harry and Ron were beyond pissed at Hermione. Which, is understandable to an extent.

Ron told Oliver Wood about Harry having a Firebolt, he tried to convince McGonagall to give them the broom back, but that didn't work for him.

Hermione's been keeping information from us about Professor Lupin. Harry and Ron have been wondering about him and about his sickness.

Ron and Hermione got into a real disagreement. Hermione's cat apparently killed Ron's rat, and everything is going to hell.

Harry and I are having a hard time deciding how to deal with it.

"Okay, side with Ron, I knew you would!" She said angrily in the Common Room. "First the Firebolt, now Scabbers, everything's my fault, isn't it? Just leave me alone, Harry, I've got a lot of work to do!"

I don't understand what the big deal is, Ron never liked Scabbers. He's probably just letting his anger get to him.

Anyway, Harry and Ron have been spending way too much time in the Quidditch Field, loving the Firebolt. Hermione's been ignoring even me, digging deeper into her books. Part of that is because she's taking so many classes. She won't tell me how she's even getting to them. It's crazy! She somehow manages to get to classes that are scheduled at the same time. I have been spending time working on my defensive, offensive, and healing spells. Due to what's coming, I need all the knowledge that I can get.