Chapter 5

The month after I dispatched from hospital everyone kept a close eye on me. I was never left alone, constantly baby sat and no matter how hard I tried to convince them I wouldn’t try to kill myself they never left.

One day I woke up to Niall in the bed beside me eating a packet chips while flicking through channels, I had no privacy.

The months passed and the hole in my chest healed to the point where I only felt pain when I spoke about actually losing Freya.  I put weight back on and my pale skin was slowly gaining colour. I was gradually getting better.

I started to work again and Miranda welcomed me back with open arms.

****

One Saturday afternoon I lazed around with Danielle who I had now become even closer with. She was my release when it came to my social or working life.

‘Let’s go watch a move in mine and Lou’s room.’ I suggested.

We put on P.s I love you. And I cried while Danielle went through the old clothes in my cupboard.

Jerry had just sent her to Ireland when Danielle’s voice drew my attention away from the television.

‘Holy shit Stephanie!’ She squeaked from within the wardrobe.

‘What?’ I jumped to my feet.

As I walked into the cupboard Danielle was on one knee holding a small pink box with a ribbon tied around it.

‘What are you doing?’ I laughed as she stood up.

‘Lou had this hidden in an old jumper Steph!’ Her voice even higher. ‘You’re going to get engaged!’

It took a few seconds for me to process what Danielle had just said. What? Engaged? But I was not even 20 years old. After the panic hit me I stumbled back a few steps and Danielle grabbed my arm.

I thought it through. I loved Lou and I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks.

 I started to bounce up and down just like Danielle screaming things in happiness that didn’t make much sense.

‘Open it!’ she handed it to me.

‘No’ I pushed the box back at her, ‘I wasn’t meant to know, put it back!’

By this point we were whispering. She did as I said and put it back where she found it and promised she’d keep it a secret until Lou popped the question.

The next few days left me nervous. Anytime I was alone with Louis I started to talk really quickly and mix up my words when I spoke.

On July 1st I woke up like every other morning. Lou was singing pleasantly in the shower. I had missed this.

His soft tone echoed through the room and I laid my head back onto the pillow melting into his voice. I hadn’t realized that I was slightly drifting off to sleep until I heard the shower turn off.