Chapter 7

‘Shit…’ I sighed looking in the mirror at the black circles that hung lightly under each of my eyes.

I had hardly slept the night before from tossing and turning that my face looked as if it had aged a few years easily.

I headed out to the kitchen to find Danielle, Jeannine, Jay-Louis’ mum- and a handful of makeup and hair stylists setting up in the lounge room.

‘What are you doing?’ I croaked rubbing my tired eyes as I opened the fridge.

‘Oh lord Stephanie!’ Jay frowned, ‘You look like you’ve been hit with a truck.’

‘Thanks’ I said pouring a drink of orange juice into a glass.

‘Never mind, Juliet will fix you up’ Jeannine beamed walking over to me and as I went to take a sip of my drink she pulled it out of my hands.

Before I knew it I was sitting down in one of the living chairs being poked and prodded by the stylists.

Everyone all chatted happily working around me as I sat nervous.

‘Stop shaking!’ The lady named Juliet grimaced at me as she worked a brush under my eyes.

Everyone moved away from me and all sighed with smiles on their faces. I went to walk over to the mirror before Danielle grabbed my arms and pulled me away.

‘No peeking until your dress is on’ She smiled.

I had just finished slipping into my white dress when I turned to look in the mirror. It was strapless and the top half was a gorgeous patterned almost velvet material that led down to a white fabric moving gracefully as I twirled, with a few layers of a thin see through material that lead out to a long beautiful ruffled trail.

My hair pulled back with a million different bobby pins I couldn’t seem to see. White flowers were woven through some of the ringlets and curls fell down elegantly to my shoulders.

This morning I had a knot of long tangled brown hair that fell to my waist and now it swayed beautiful up, at shoulders length.

My skin looked almost flawless and the black circles had disappeared instead held a normal complexion. My eyes had hardly any make up around them but my eye lashes curled out individually and carried more length than usual.  

I gasped at the site of me. I looked beautiful; I had never looked like this before.

‘Don’t you look wonderful’ A voice came from behind startling me.

It was my mother.

‘What are you doing here?’ I said a little surprised but politely.

‘I wanted to see my daughter before her wedding day.’ Mum pursed her lips at me and then smiled.

I still stood in the same position frozen. I knew we sent her invitations for the wedding but I highly doubted she would show up.