Part 12

Previously:

Your eyes flew wide and within seconds, you discovered the man's perfectly styled dirty-blond hair and a pair of bright blue eyes met yours from across the room. He smiled and raised a hand in greeting before making his way toward you.

"Is that Steve Rogers?" Bucky asked with a tone of admiration in his voice. "Looks like he's headed this way. Are you two close friends?"

"Um..." you hesitated, watching Steve's progress across the room as he continued to shake hands and greet people along the way. "About that. There's something I should probably tell you..."

_________________

"What is it?"

You shifted nervously, glancing at the approaching Steve before returning your gaze to Bucky. "Remember how I was seeing someone and broke it off just before I came back into town?" you asked quietly, then hesitating.

"Uh...I guess so, why..." Bucky began, then pausing as the light came on and his eyes grew wide. "You and...he...you were dating Steve Rogers before me?" he hissed at a whisper.

You nodded slowly. "Yes."

"But he's...I...how could you not tell me?" he replied, a look of hurt passing over his features.

"I'm sorry, but at what point do you mention that your last boyfriend was literally a famous movie star? Would you have responded any differently, even back then?" you asked as he chewed on his lip in consideration.

"Maybe not..."

"Look," you began, looping your arms around Bucky's waist and leaning close, "the point is, I chose you. Okay? I broke up with him before I left L.A., not knowing if there was still a chance for us. I hoped, but either way I still chose you even if I wasn't sure you would do the same. I want you. Only you."

Bucky finally met your gaze and took a deep breath, then nodding. "Okay."

You exhaled in relief. "Okay. I love you."

He let out half a smile and pulled you closer. "I love you, too," Bucky declared, then pressing a chaste kiss to your lips before resting his forehead against yours a short moment.

You released your grip on him and turned around just in time to see Steve merely feet away, his million dollar smile on full display. He wore an expertly cut tuxedo over his muscular frame, his hair perfectly quaffed and chiseled jaw clean-shaven. Eyeing the two of you, Steve offered a soft gaze and came to a stop before you.

"Y/N, it's so good to see you," he grinned, leaning forward for a light hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Hi, Steve. It's been a while. Great to see you, too," you replied, then returning your focus to Bucky, who was fidgeting with his tie. "Steve Rogers, this is Bucky Barnes, my boyfriend. Bucky, this is Steve Rogers," you spoke, gesturing between the two men as Steve offered his hand.

"Wow, so this is the infamous Bucky?" Steve asked as Bucky accepted his hand and gave it a shake, the brunet seeming a bit starstruck. "I'm really glad that things worked out for you two. It's nice to finally meet you, Bucky," the blond finished with a nod.

Bucky took a moment to respond, "Um...I, uh...it's really great to meet you, Mr. Rogers. I'm a big fan," he finally replied with a nervous smile.

"Please, just Steve is fine. And I'm a big fan of yours. I hear you were a big influence on Y/N's work. I guess it was all meant to be, then, huh?" he smiled at you with a wink.

Bucky looked your way in confusion, but you just grinned at him and mouthed the words "You'll see".

Steve opened his mouth to speak again, but was interrupted when his name was called by a gorgeous brunette with kind eyes, painted lips, and soft curls just past her shoulder. "Steve, darling, can you come here a moment?" she called out in a posh British accent.