My Best Friend Drives A Hummer

"Where is he?" I asked, worriedly.

It had been two weeks since we found our lead on Lily Smith, James' supposed (and deceased) twin sister. Michael hadn't been over in all that time, working hard to bust open my findings. Ryan and I had been carrying on with our usual activities, but it felt different without Michael. Ryan said it felt nicer without him barging in everyday. Personally, I felt rather lonely and defenseless, though I was in company of a fighting human-machine, not having to mention that I was also a superhuman weapon. Honestly, I just missed Michael. He was funny and smart and sensitive, and I missed how easy he and I were. Of course I wanted Ryan around, but I was constantly jittery and anxious, my nerves always on edge in his presence.

Today, though, Michael had promised to show up around 4 PM (too late for my favorite early bird) with some news on our leads.

"Calm down. He's only 4 minutes late." Ryan said, his eyes following me as I paced. I scowled; I had every right to be worried about someone I considered my best friend. I paused in my pacing. Best friend, huh?

I heard a car door shut, and I quickly rushed to the peephole to see the familiar, ugly, pollution-inducing Hummer. I wanted to cry out with joy, but instead I unlocked the door, and without caution, opened the door excitedly. This startled Michael, making him flinch and reach for his gun. When he realized that it was me, he rushed inside, scolding me as he went.

"Dude, what is with you? Anyone could have been watching." he hissed. He locked the door, and turned my alarm on. He turned back to see me, bouncing on the balls of my feet in excitement. He looked at Ryan, taken aback by my attitude.

"What happened while I was gone?" he asked, concerned. Ryan snorted.
"She missed you, bro. That's all."

Michael grinned, and Ryan rolled his eyes. Michael went to hug me, and I joyfully embraced him. He had a nice, comforting hug. Tight and safe and genuine.

"Where have you been? It's been weeks." I murmured into his arm. Ryan went upstairs, giving us space.

"Sorry. There was a lot going on. I thought the daily texts were enough." he replied. He finally let go, and looked down at me. "To be honest, though, I missed your face a lot." He glanced upstairs. "How's the brat?"

"He's alright. It's been boring without you. I mean, we're getting closer and more comfortable together. But, like, our days are blending together. I'm losing track of time."

Michael nodded. "Well, bore no longer! I have the solution that comes in the form of a file."

"Ooh, your favorite medium." I replied sarcastically. He grinned, as if to say that he missed my sass. We went upstairs and I heard a loud bark. I was too late to stop it, as I witnessed Michael get tackled by my husky.

"Oof! Mala! Hey, get off!" Mala was licking Michael's face, and whimpering excitedly.

Ryan smiled slightly from where he sat. "Looks like you're a part of this house now. Can't leave for too long anymore."

"Guess not."

I called Mala off of him, and she ran off, snuggling next to Ryan. Michael stood up, his hair a mess. He held up a file, and Ryan clapped with fake enthusiasm.

Ryan reached out his hand. "Gimme it. Gimme the file."

Michael, instead, handed the file to me, making Ryan blow a raspberry at Michael. I opened it, and I saw a headshot of a man and a written statement.

"Who's this?" I asked.

"The guy who murdered Lily Smith," Michael replied.

😉 --Amira