The Early Bird Gets Spooked By A Weird Stalker

The next day, I woke up to hear the incessant hammering on my door. I shot up out of bed and Ryan swiftly opened his door, with matching tired eyes and a grumpy demeanor. 

I groaned, stomping downstairs, the Grouch on my heels, muttering cuss words. I checked my peephole and sighing, unlocked my alarm system and door to Michael, who was beaming. 

"Morning." he greeted cheerily. I scowled.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"10 AM."

Ryan and I groaned excessively. "10 AM!"

"It's not my fault you have insomnia," Michael replied, closing the door behind him, locking it properly. "Good morning, Ryan."

"Shut up," Ryan complained, walking to the kitchen.

"It's not insomnia, Michael; the paranoia tends to keep me up at night." I shot back. 

He waved my comment away and leaned into me. "Are you sure it wasn't Ryan?" he whispered.

I gaped at him, curling my fist. He raised a manila folder up to cover his face, and I glared at him.

He smirked and made his way upstairs, Ryan sneaking past me with a cup of what looked like coffee upstairs. 

"Malala!" I called. She ran downstairs, and I let her out the back door, watching her do her business. When she had finished, she made her way back to me, but just as I was ready to open the door, she tensed. She looked to the right side of the yard and began to bark. 

I froze in fear for my dog. I wanted to go out and see what was startling my dog, but I knew that, at least in my situation, it probably wasn't the best idea. 

"Michael! Ryan!" I called, more than a little perturbed. I must've sounded terrified because they both made their way down without question.

Ryan reached me first. "What is it?" he asked, now wide awake. 

"Malala..." I said, pointing to my husky, who was now pacing defensively in the grass.

Michael opened the door and closed it behind him, making his way out to Mala. Ryan locked it, and we both watched with bated breath.

Ryan placed his hand on my back, and I put my own hand on his arm. We watched in tense silence as Michael tried to calm Malala down. He feigned a concerned owner, but I could see his calculating eyes inspecting the fence from where he was. Finally, Malala slumped. Michael pet her ears, and they went to the back door. Ryan opened it for them and locked it again once they were in.

"Well then," Michael said, with wide eyes. I hugged Malala, my heart beating fast.

"Good girl. Good girl." I said, a tremor in my voice. I stood up and surprised Michael with a fierce hug.

"What was it?" I asked. 

"A person, but I couldn't get a good look. I caught movement."

I pulled away, and he locked eyes with Ryan. 

"Thank you," I said.

"Of course," Michael replied. 

Ryan started to move away from me, gathering his thoughts. I turned towards him sharply, and he locked eyes with me. He looked sad and went closer to me. He held my face in his hands, and he shook his head. He let go, pulled away, and in a series of odd movements, managed to get upstairs. 

Michael looked at me, wiggling his eyebrows at me, amused at Ryan's show of affection. I looked blankly at him, and his expression fell. I made my way upstairs quietly.

Ryan was sitting on my futon, petting Malala, looking at the file. I sat next to him, avoiding his gaze. 

"Naniya." I glanced at him using my peripherals. He had his arms stretched out as if to hug me. I slowly moved into it and hugged him back. 

Ryan's hug was meant to be comforting and safe, for my benefit. And yet, I could swear this hug was also for his benefit as well. His grip was tight on me, and he embraced me as if he never wanted to let me go.

And I didn't want him to. 

When we did eventually pull away, both of us were a little embarrassed and uncertain. I drew myself up, touched his hand, and defeated my shyness. 

"Thank you," I said. He smiled at me, and I was taken aback by the affection in his eyes.

We heard a clearing of throat, and I tried to break apart in haste, but Ryan's hand went to my shoulder, calming me. 

Michael was looking at us, a smirk on his stupid face. This time, though, his teasing gaze was not pointed at me, but at Ryan. Who, of course, had the balls to defiantly stare down Michael's annoying and shaming gaze. 

Michael turned to me. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Better." He hid a smirk and continued on with business, as I hid my middle finger.

"Let me know when stuff like that happens. And I'll see what I can do about a surveillance system monitoring around your house," Michael said. "In the meantime, how about we look through these files?"

I made a face, and my stomach growled. Ryan took my hand, leading me downstairs.

"How about we eat breakfast? Some of us don't take our nutrition pills at 3 AM," he said.

I chuckled as we walked down the stairs. Michael scowled, and called back to us.

"Excuse me, that's 6 AM for you!"

Don't question the updates, just be grateful. 

--Amira.