the alchemy

"Insung-ah, did you invite Jihyo to come over already?"

My father's voice broke the morning silence, pulling me from my thoughts. I swallowed a piece of toast and cleared my throat. "Not yet, Father. She's a little busy with work these days."

I saw how my mother's expression change. "And what about Minhee? The press and the whole country know about your engagement. This so-called Jihyo getting into the picture would just make things complicated. You should stop seeing her and focus on Minhee instead."

Before I could respond, my father folded his newspaper and set it aside. "Actually, there's something important to discuss regarding Minhee's family." He began. "Our partnership with her father is dropped. I received intel that he has some serious legal issues—illegal gambling, to be exact. He's about to be prosecuted and I don't want our family name associated with that mess. I'm meeting him today to call off every partnership completely... including Insung's marriage."

The room fell into a heavy silence. The clink of silverware and the rustle of napkins became almost deafening.

I honestly can't believe he just dropped his friendship Mr. Kim like that, but at the same time, my mind also went to Jiah noona as she became the most affected when it comes to this matter as she was originally supposed to be married to Minhee's older brother. She stood her ground and insisted on not marrying him, which caused a rift between my sister and our father.

But I guess she also has the last laugh now.

As breakfast wrapped up, my phone buzzed incessantly with calls and messages. Among the notifications, Yejin's name stood out. I answered her call first.

"Oppa, have you seen the article I sent?"

"No, not yet."

"Well, Yoojin unnie sent it to me. There are rumors spreading about you and a woman, who's leading up to be Jihyo unnie. It's getting pretty messy by now, but we cannot contact her—"

"Yejin-ah, calm down." I told her because she was speaking to fast. "What kind of rumors were spread?"

"That Jihyo unnie is your other woman while you're engaged with Kim Minhee."

"Did you publish it already?"

I barely had time to process her words when I saw my mother step out to the balcony with her phone. I followed her quietly, staying out of sight but close enough to hear.

I sighed heavily before going back to my phone call with Yejin. "I'll call you back," I told her.

"Yes, well done," I heard my mother say into the phone. "The articles are exactly what we needed. I will try to find clearer pictures of that woman."

Cold anger surged through me. I waited until she ended the call before stepping out. "Eomma, who are you talking to?"

She turned to me, her expression calm as if she did nothing wrong. "Insung-ah..."

"Yejin just called and there are rumors about me having an aff—" I couldn't say the word as I clenched my fists, my emotions boiling over.

"Insung, I'm only doing what's best for you."

"I can't believe you'd also say that to me." I said. "Didn't it ever cross your mind that you just labeled your son as a cheater?! Even Dad said he's withdrawing all his partnerships with Chairman Kim!"